Thread: hello fan engine problem...help me!!!

MR2 Newbie

hello fan engine problem...help me!!!

Hello, this weekend I participate in a regular rally in Spain and at the end of the rally I realized that I had a problem with the engine fan, this when I stop the vehicle and remove the key is still running all the time and do not stop.

I have tried to remove the relay from the fan motor of this fan and change it for another equal reference in the front bonnet but it follows the same problem.

Has anyone had the same or had an electric scheme?

thanks and regards

According to my manual. The fan is powered through that relay you have replaced, with a fuse upstream from that. So as far as I can see the only way that the fan could be running is, if the relay is being energised. Even then the main engine relay would have to be energised also.

Maybe someone else has seen this before

Check that the sensor (mounted on the lifting bracket at the RHS of the cylinder head) hasn't become disconnected that causes the fan to run continuously (not sure if it does with the ignition off).
    Also keep in mind that the fan is controlled by the fan relay (engine compartment fusebox) which in turn is controlled by the cooling fan computer which is mounted on the engine bulkhead in the boot behind the trim (it's normally grey and near the ECU) If that computer is faulty it can cause the same problem.
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

You can download the MK1 UK electrical manual using this link CLICKY I'll leave it there for a day or so if anyone else wants it

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    Check that the sensor (mounted on the lifting bracket at the RHS of the cylinder head) hasn't become disconnected that causes the fan to run continuously (not sure if it does with the ignition off).
    Also keep in mind that the fan is controlled by the fan relay (engine compartment fusebox) which in turn is controlled by the cooling fan computer which is mounted on the engine bulkhead in the boot behind the trim (it's normally grey and near the ECU) If that computer is faulty it can cause the same problem.
    My first thought was that it was a fault with that sensor, or the computer itself. The fan running with no keys in really confused me.

MR2 Newbie
    Thank you very much, as you always solve all doubts, you are very kind ....
    Effectively exchange the main relay of the engine for another that put main in the front bonnet and then remained plugged the electric fan radiator. So there was the problem.

Reference: 90987-04002

thanks and regards

Quote Originally Posted by coltder View Post
    Reference: 90987-04002
    According to the Toyota Electronic Parts Catalogue 90987-04002 is for the headlight Dim/Dip ?

MR2 Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    According to the Toyota Electronic Parts Catalogue 90987-04002 is for the headlight Dim/Dip ?
    i dont now, but in my car this relay is for the main engine and main