Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear Gearbox mount

Really nice feedback Jon, thank you!

I was thinking of doing the same with mine as both my front and rear torque mounts are split.

MR2 Enthusiast
    Thanks Tom !

A new mount would offer the best solution all round, but the silicon solution may even out perform the original bush, but being solid it may also transmit more noise / vibration into the car.

I fitted Solid rubber rear diff mounts to my Mitsubishi and I thought my diff had started to fail because you could hear the various noises it made at different speeds which usually would be isolated when a stock none-solid bush was used
    Last edited by Evo4Jon; 15th May 2017 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tommundy View Post
    Really nice feedback Jon, thank you!
    I spend a bunch of time browsing pistonheads. It's poisoned by know-it-alls and people who think there opinion is fact. This forum is a refreshing change of pace. I wouldn't say car specific forums are all this easy going. I've tried Type R ones...

On topic. I have been thinking. Even though my bushing is cracked, it's only cracked on the floating centre peace. The engine will easily bend it up or down, then rest against either bump stop. Now someone set me straight, but unless the top and bottom peace is cracked/damaged, I'm not sure you would notice any difference. I'll have to get a photo of mine.

MR2 Enthusiast
    I thought mine looked OK until a friend with a crowbar showed me it wasn't ! if you pry the mount to flex the bush properly mine opened up and I was surprised to see that it was split right the way through!

When they were new the gear stick didn't jump backwards and forwards when accelerating and decelerating in 5th gear like mine does. Its only 5mm jump but summits not right !... I then saw the post by Paul Wood for his beefed up rear mount and I realised that it was the deterioration of the rear mount that was the reason for this.

Aha. Your gear stick movement answers it for me. My car has zero movement in the gear stick. Yet still has minor cracking in the bush

MR2 Enthusiast
    Your car obviously has a nice tight bush then !!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sillyhatday View Post
    I spend a bunch of time browsing pistonheads. It's poisoned by know-it-alls and people who think there opinion is fact. This forum is a refreshing change of pace. I wouldn't say car specific forums are all this easy going. I've tried Type R ones...
    That must be where they got the inspiration for this: http://sniffpetrol.com/category/aska.../#.WRq0FGnyvcs

MR2 Enthusiast
    Haha ! YES Bang on the Money that link " SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST N00B !!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS" or even more condescending is when they just type " SBYP! "

As the starter of this thread I should by rights also aggressively write something along the lines of OFF TOPIC!!! But then I realise that I started to take the thread off topic with my comments initially LOL!
    So I would just be telling myself off - which is not unheard of!
    Last edited by Evo4Jon; 16th May 2017 at 09:15 AM.