Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Gearbox mount

MR2 Enthusiast

Rear Gearbox mount

After a new one or nearly new if anyone has one they never fitted ?

Can these still be bought from Toyota ?

(Dont want polybush as I Prefer the standard no vibration feel... Although mines gone all cracked!)

I have a few if you dont get sorted

MR2 Enthusiast
    What condition is the rubber in though Paul ? I need one that is like new preferably

Very good mate call me im only in Congleton 07525142359

MR2 Enthusiast
    Just bought a new one from the states as they all look good until you get a screwdriver on the hole and bend. Then the cracks appear

You saying your new one from the USA is perished also? Mines not in top shape either.

MR2 Enthusiast
    Oh no the new one should be ok ( not here yet) but as you say your 32000 mile mount is goosed and my 48000 mile one is goosed so all the used ones will be no good now

I did this quite a few years ago
    I had previously bought a large tube of this

in black for doing my T-bar seals. I had loads left so decided to experiment on a spare front engine mount I had.
    Did this

and left it for a couple of days to cure, then fitted it to my car.
    It certainly stiffened up the mount to the extent that I can feel some vibration where there was none before, especially at idle. It does take all the rock out of the engine when you accelerate hard. I'm going to go back to a standard mount on the front and repeat the experiment with the rear mount, to see what difference that makes. Then probably try it with both and also with partial fills until I get the result I want.
    How long the silicone will last remains to be seen, but so far so good ( about a month )
    I'm trying to get a specific data sheet for the sealant I used find out what the hardness of the sealant is, from browsing the net I've found that depending on manufacturer silicone sealant ranges from about 22 to 60 shore. The RS compound is around 70 IIRC.
    The beauty of using silicone sealant is that you can fill a bit a time until you get the stiffness you want, unlike the poly mix where you have to do it in one go
    Jimi
    Haven't checked on them recently so have no idea how they are doing, but I haven't noticed any excessive engine movement. I'll have a look at them when I get home.
    Last edited by jimi; 15th May 2017 at 12:27 AM.
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quote Originally Posted by Evo4Jon View Post
    Oh no the new one should be ok ( not here yet) but as you say your 32000 mile mount is goosed and my 48000 mile one is goosed so all the used ones will be no good now
    Yep. An age thing, not related to amount of use. It's still sturdy with minor cracking. I doubt I'd notice a difference with a new one.

Can't beat silicone sealant. Made me giggle, I got a friend who uses it for EVERYTHING!

MR2 Enthusiast
    Good Ole Jimi !!! What would we do without your input and genius ! I have to say that I love this forum because I feel that its filled with nice like-minded individuals who just try to help each other and post genuine and decent opinions. This forum is very rare nowadays because most of the other car clubs have a huge portion of arrogant know-alls with huge attitude who flame people for their often innocent questions. Its the only social media platform that I use to be honest. All the others make me groan and the way most people are today I find intolerable - except on here !!

I am going to get myself a tube and when the new one arrives I will have a play with the old one.
    Last edited by Evo4Jon; 14th May 2017 at 09:27 PM.