Thread: Hello from Stockton!

MR2 Lurker

Red face Hello from Stockton!

Hello all, me and my dad are new to the MR2 world. He very recently bought an 86 Mk1a (see below) in very good condition.

After experiencing these cars i'm very interested in getting my own so i'm on the hunt should anyone be selling one in a similar condition.

Thanks

Hi there!

Welcome to the forums.

There's a few for sale at the moment, and if you have any queries with regards to condition, things to look out for etc. don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
    Tom

PS: I had to manually approve your post as it included some photos and your account is new, which is why it didn't appear straight away.

Welcome the the club, i get my MOT's done in Stockton so will be up there in a week or so.
    Looks like your dad has found a good original example.
    There are some nice examples that pop up for sale now and again.
    A helpful thing is to use the MOT history checker before you buy a car to find out if it has had welding done and then speak to the owner about whether it was garage welding to pass or done properly.
    link: https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
    Good luck in your hunt, if you find any you like put some pics up on the forum for scrutinizing.

Hello Neil! I hope you know the rules of mr2 ownership: If a family member has a red mk1a, then you must have a blue mk1b. I think there is at least one decent blue mk1b for sale somewhere...

MR2 Lurker
    Haha! Thanks for the info . Have had this one out today after washing it in the glorious sunshine we've had up here. A rare opportunity not to be missed.

Drives great but i've noticed an issue with the engine surging until it gets up to temperature so i need to do a bit of detective work on how to fix.

Still looking through classifieds at the moment for myself - very little around this area. Seen some lovely looking examples but they're too far away!

That's a really tidy MK1a! Don't see nearly as many of the early cars.

Idle surging is sometimes from having air in the cooling system. Try bleeding the air out of both the radiator and the thermostat on the engine.

MR2 Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillyhatday View Post
    That's a really tidy MK1a! Don't see nearly as many of the early cars.

Idle surging is sometimes from having air in the cooling system. Try bleeding the air out of both the radiator and the thermostat on the engine.
    Thanks mate, we'll try this first.