Thread: mk1 of spain...

MR2 Newbie

mk1 of spain...

Hello, my name is Jorma, and this summer I bought an mr2 mk1 from 1987, the car was in a pitiful state (stopped since 2007, abandoned on the street, paint in poor condition, engine did not start ... etc etc) I negotiated A good price and for 1650 euros I take it in crane to start the restoration.

i dismount the tank, send it to rebuild internally, change gas pump, gauge.
    Distribution kit, water pump, alternator, ignited cables, oils, valvulina, liquid brakes, spark plugs.
    I have also been changing some parts of the interior in bad condition, button windows, rear glove among other things.
    Also modifies the exhaust system, since it was all rotten.
    Change 4 tires and align the steering.
    Attached photos:

[IMG]imag[/IMG]

[IMG]subirimagenes[/IMG]

[IMG]subir fotos gratis[/IMG]

[IMG]imag[/IMG]

I recently had problems with the idle valve (water cooled) and I had to cancel it so I did not have a swinging idle, so now I have to accelerate for about 30 seconds at 2000rpm in the morning or with the car cold and solved.

On the other hand I have a question for you: for a few days (the alternator will take about 1000km of use (change it again this summer), when the car goes from 7000rpm I plug in the battery light and motor fan flashing, if I change Of running no longer does, and if low rpm either, it is only from 7000rpm, I checked and the alternator loads properly at 14.4V apx throughout the rpm range.

To what can this small problem be?

thanks and regards.
    Last edited by coltder; 8th November 2016 at 11:10 PM.

MR2 Newbie
    Help me please!!!

Not sure about the issue you're having. There are people on this forum with better technical knowledge than I have but great job with the restoration so far.

Has the car lived in Spain all it's life? And is it rust free due to the Mediterranean climate?

MR2 Newbie
    Thank you!! If the car as I commented the last owner was imported from Germany to 1991, landed in Alicante and had another owner, to the year 2000 went to Valencia and to 2007 he stopped using, he was parked in a central area away from the sea (relatively , Since both alicante and valencia as vinaroz are coastal cities) until I buy it to give it the life it deserves.

One reason I bought this car was because it did not have any rust, the paint is bad, but the steel is impeccable, both underneath as engine, suspension arms and others is very very good.

The subject of the problem that I have (if the translator of Google lets me explain myself well ...).

From 1000 rpm to 6900 rpm, everything works properly.
    When over 7000rpm are plugged in with the battery lights and motor fan of the instrument box.
    When you change gears and lower the rpm the lights go out.
    When I go back up to 7000rpm, they blink again.
    So on.

I have checked alternator load without load (with the car stationary and accelerating) and it has always given me 14.5v over the entire rpm range.
    Only the fault is reproduced when I start up.

The alternator is new since this summer.
    The alternator belt is also tensioned correctly.
    The crankshaft pulley is ok.

I expect your help.

thanks and regards

Mine does that with the lights on the dash if i go over 6k rpm. It's performing as it should do though.

MR2 Newbie
    Ok ok, thanks for the info.
    To see if anyone has the same problem or can give some solutions to the issue.
    thanks and regards

Something worth checking is if the alternator is well grounded or not. Sometimes this cable gets worn from how exposed it is and so the alternator doesn't have a good connection to ground. I would guess (though I'm not an auto-electrician) that it's working its hardest at more than 7000 rpm. If the ground cable is in poor condition, this may throw up error lights. I do remember something about the voltage regulator in such a state, but it's late and I can't remember the specifics... Sorry. But if you've eliminated belt tension and the alternator is nearly new, then I'd be checking the cabling next anyway.

Does the oil sump have a hole in it in the photo underneath the engine?
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.

MR2 Newbie
    Thanks for the help, this weekend I could check the connections of the regulator and indeed the connector was slightly loose. I tightened the pins of the connector and I put it back and I disappeared the problem.

thanks and regards

Great to hear!

I'm glad it's sorted, and that it was a simple fix!
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.