Thread: Driver side box/relay for Windows

MR2 Enthusiast

Driver side box/relay for Windows

Hi all, does anyone have a driver side window box / relay (not sure what they are called) but think it controls the Windows and central locking. Location is in the driver door. I need it for a mk1b as I believe mk1a is different.

Regards

Driver's side box is for the power windows, central locking relay is in the passengers door. pretty sure the 1a/1b use the same relay
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2 Enthusiast
    Thanks Jimi, your here too

My driver side window would not work. So changed the box from a mk1a and now works. Does go up and down but does not go up via the auto up button. Will check you post you did for another user a few months back as you got some good info there regarding how to test the system.

I think I'm on all the forums that have anything to do with MR2's
    There is no auto up as standard, only auto down. If you want auto up you need to do a small mod
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jlawson/AutoUp/Autoup.html

MR2 Enthusiast
    Been looking at that mod. I just went out side in the car to double check. Here is the issue. Auto down works. Now the middle button that you use to open window as much or little as you like, that works only on down. Not up, is this how it should be. For me to get my windows up I use the same button for auto down but press it the other direction and this allows me to make the window go up.

Now does it sound right? Hope I have explained it well.

No should work like this
    The centre part of the switch should make the window go up/down as long as the switch is held in the up or down position.
    The outer part can only operate in the down position (press and release for the window to go fully down, the circled triangular portion stops the switch from operating in the up direction, if you are able to operate it in the up direction then the switch has probably been modified like the bottom picture.

This is an unmodified switch

Modified

If your switch is modified and you had auto up before then your original relay was probably modified as per the article I linked to. Your new relay probably isn't modified so no auto up.
    Last edited by jimi; 23rd September 2016 at 01:56 AM.