Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member looking for a MK1

MR2 Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilles27 View Post
    I'd agree that a stainless exhaust is a must - especially for a daily driver. I also lost patience with the cassette player and got a bluetooth enabled stereo.
    Yeah i'll most probably upgrade the exhaust and stereo player, I'd also need to make adjustments to steering wheel and seat runners as I'm like 6 ft 9 and can only just fit in!

Don't get a Janspeed no matter how cheap or good it looks. It'll cause you so many problems and you'll wish you still had the standard OEM that goes rusty after a year!

MR2 Newbie
    Thanks for the heads, what sort of problems they give you?

I liked my janspeed had a nice throaty growl to it.
    There's two you tube vids on buying a mk1 the main thing is rear arches bubbling if you hear that old chestnut run like the Devils sticking a fork in your backside, they can be fixed but at a grand for both and a respray not cheap, next is inside the door shut were the switch resides for the interior light it's also a major jack point underneath the sill, this is a triple metal section but rusts behind the triangle so when you try and jack the car up it collapses as it rusts from the inside out by the time you notice it's probably to late.

Next car killer is the front box section horns at the front that have the arb bolted to them and hold the rad brace if these start going through there repairable but time consuming.

Also leaky T bars and 5th gear poping out is another problem, but if a guy is selling his car on here it's generally been sorted of most faults and would no doubt show you all the points on the car that need attention or that have had attention in the past.
    There's been one that has been put up for sale and taken it down when it was found to need a lot more work than was thought and is now fixing it up properly that's the sort of guys on here who love there mk1 and want the next owners to love them and keep them going .

Hi there Jimi,

I've just sent through your membership details.

Cheers,
    Tom

MR2 Newbie
    Hi guys, thanks!!

Watch for rust around the top of the wind screen as well.

MR2 Newbie
    Is that an expensive job then?

The windscreen has to be removed and the rust ground out and repaired.

You may find in some instances that if you require a new windscreen and rust is found behind it, some windscreen replacement companies will not guarantee the windscreen unless the rust is sorted out before it's replaced, as it could be assumed that a crack was caused by this rust/damage. I have no guarantee on mine because of this, but thankfully my screen has not cracked since.

MR2 Enthusiast
    hi, i apologise for being mercenary and have not been active for a few years but i am selling my car, i wont post any links for fear of annoying the mods but let me know if you are interested, down side is that it is in northern ireland
    it is a 1988 mica blue t-bar, uk model, it has been converted to a supercharger