Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member looking for a MK1

MR2 Newbie

Question New member looking for a MK1

Hi guys I'm new to the club.

I've been reading buyers guides and all that but I haven't got much experience in buying cars at all. I'm looking for my first MK1 and was hoping you guys could point in the right direction. I want one as a daily runner. I just want to know if thats feasible and how costly it is fighting rust (even if i get one with good bodywork). I've seen a few on car and classic and was wondering if you guys could give me some recommendations.

Welcome to the forums and the club!

You can run a mk1 as a daily, but it will of course cost you more to maintain than if you use it as a summer only toy.

I'd recommend starting off with a good solid car. You don't want a concourse one as a daily in my opinion as it'd be a waste and you'd feel too precious over it.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers,
    Tom

Hi Jimi. Using one as a daily driver is certainly feasible. I drive mine every day and I park it on the street. As with most cars you should buy the best you can afford as buying something cheap will not save money in the long run. The best idea would be to post links on here to the cars you're considering. You'll probably find that someone on here used to own it!

MR2 Newbie
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161733543327#cvip_desc

I found this one, although the listing has ended the guy is still selling it. Not sure if you guys can see the description? However it's only done 1k in the last 10 years and I don't get why so much has been spent on it but now he seems desperate to get rid?

MR2 Newbie
    Also I saw someone else selling a silver MK1 on here called Kev, I'm interested in that

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi Duffell View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161733543327#cvip_desc

I found this one, although the listing has ended the guy is still selling it. Not sure if you guys can see the description? However it's only done 1k in the last 10 years and I don't get why so much has been spent on it but now he seems desperate to get rid?
    Just had a look at that and it looks great. I don't think the seller is the person who owned it for 10 years and only put 1000 miles on it. There are owners like that. I was talking to a guy at Tatton who had an immaculate mk1 that did less than 50 miles a year. It went to the Tatton show each year and to his local garage for an mot. Other than that he just cleaned and fettled it!
    What sort of money is this car going for? It certainly looks like a good 'un. Is absolute originality what you're after?

Actually, I've just looked at Kev's post and of course you should buy that one as he's a member! http://www.mr2mk1club.com/showthread...2-mk1-for-sale

MR2 Newbie
    Yes I will hopefully go and see Kev's this weekend hopefully, and the one on eBay has dropped the price to £2600, just seems too keen to sell it when he's done so much work to it worth more than the car itself.

MR2 Newbie
    It doesn't have to be absolutely original itself, don't mind mods to the exhaust, but I want an original body kit

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi Duffell View Post
    It doesn't have to be absolutely original itself, don't mind mods to the exhaust, but I want an original body kit
    I'd agree that a stainless exhaust is a must - especially for a daily driver. I also lost patience with the cassette player and got a bluetooth enabled stereo.