Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Please

MR2 Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by tommundy View Post
    Hi Drew,

The pictures hadn't shown as they'd just gone into moderation, as you're not a paid member and didn't have a high post count.

Welcome to the forums! Looks like a great project!

Cheers,
    Tom
    Cheers Tom, as soon as I have possesion, I'll look into the subs. If you're able, feel free to delete extra pics/posts.

Brakes will probably need freeing of all round especially if the handbrake has been left on cables can seize and may need oiling, I would strip the lacquer of all were its peeling and use an orbital sander with a foam pad and G3 cutting paste on a slow speed to buff the paint up then get it uv clear coated after. The wheels should just be taken to a wheel shop were they will blast them and refinished to original.

Have a look at the website "how many left" and it will show about 3thousand mk1 last I looked, 5 years ago it was 6 thou so most the bad rusty arched ones or blown engines have gone so prices are only going up, I bought a 5th gear poping two wings missing dent in the rear and two cracked sills with missing drivers seat etc for £900 so £250 is a bargain even if you have to brake it up for parts easy to get the £250 back

Enjoy the work ahead! Its well worth it when finished!

MR2 Newbie
    How come some paint has faded and elsewhere the laquer has peeled? Were the parts painted differently or has this car been resprayed at some time?

MR2 Newbie
    Just been back and removed the skirts this time to get a better look at the body. It actually doesn't look too bad so far. The front lower parts of both rear wings have gone but it all seems solid behind. There are two spots on the rim for the rear boot and a couple of minor rust spots...bt the floor looks good as do both sills. Like a plonker, I forgot to take m y notes with me and there were a couple of places I was advised to look at that I couldn't remember. The bar for the rad looked rusty but solid, (I presume this is the part that the rad sits on?), and both front wheel arches are solid but were stuffed with leafs and twigs.
    Anyway, more pics here, (hope the slideshow works OK), 'would love to hear your opinions,
    Many thanks, Drew.
    http://s77.photobucket.com/user/Drew...ta%20MR2%20MK1

Last edited by Drewsky; 11th April 2015 at 02:12 PM.

MR2 Newbie
    The rear wings are fairly small, I presume it's better to replace them rather than for someone to knock up a plate to weld in?

Ah.....just found these:-

Last edited by Drewsky; 12th April 2015 at 11:09 AM.

MR2 Newbie
    I was working in the yard where the car is today and grabbed a couple of snaps of the top of the windscreen frame which is one of my biggest concerns body-wise. I'm not sure if the roof rusts far enough to tell the condition without removing the screen?

Last edited by Drewsky; 24th April 2015 at 05:36 PM.

Mine was like that. When I took the screen out there was rot along the edge that the glass bonds to. I had to keep welding and grinding it back to get it solid again.

Mine wasn't great either, best in the long run to get the windscreen out and get it done.