Hi, I'm a new poster on here and wether or not I'll be a regular visitor probably depends on this thread.

A few years ago, I was gazumped on a 1987 red MR2 by a "friend". The car was completely original and immaculate at the time and had only 60K miles on the clock with FSH.
I recieved a phone call off said friend today to tell me he's selling his house and so the MR2...which has sat open to the elements and not used in his back yard for all this time.... is for sale again

I've been to look at it and it's looking very sorry for itself. However, there's no serious rot on first inspection, just a small split on the bottom of the drivers door, and some rust on one rear wheel arch, (not rotten). I havn't checked the floor yet. The engine is covered in leaf mulch but all looks ok on the surface and all nice and original.

I'm looking at 3 different options at the moment.

1; Buy the car, get it road worthy and sort out the cosmetics over time while using/enjoying it.

2; Buy the car and restore it fully.

3; Buy the car and, if I decide it's not a viable resto, break it and sell the parts.

I'm a fan of '70s and '80s Japanese cars and would enjoy working on the car but, as with a lot of folks right now, money is tight...ish. I'm still negotiating a price but probably going to aim around the £250 mark.

I'd appreciate any advice on what to look for and which could be my best option. I've a few pics I can upload to show general condition.

Many thanks, Drew.