Thread: New Member

MR2 Fan

Finally got round to joining the club, though I've owned my Mk1b for nearly 2 years.
    Wanted a Mk1 since I drove my bosses in 1997 (my first job after school). The company built classic volvo's for rallying, but the MR2 was his everyday car. It was an '89 G reg in Mica Blue, and by 1997 it had covered 250,000 miles, crashed badly once and rebuilt, crashed again and refreshed (the boss did a bit of night rallying and a few track days). I used to get sent off in it to pick up parts, customers etc and absolutely loved driving it, and said one day I would buy one.
    Roll on to xmas of 2011 and a mate and I were txting one evening about finally booking up to do a school day at Gurston Down Hill Climb, he had recently picked up a cheap mx5, and so we booked the school day, and I went and bought a Mk1 Mr2 a week later.
    It was a typical cheap MR2, faded red paint, not great rear arches, and a oil leak from the distributor, but other than the arches, it was pretty solid underneath, good wings, doors, engine with K&n filter, and a terrible bodged Mk2 Mr2 exhaust!!
    Spent a few months getting it tidied up ready for the school day, removed most of the interior, added a safety devices roll cage, bucket seat and a set of yokohama AO48r's.
    The school day went great, the MR2 didn't miss a beat, and i'm hoping to compete properly in the near future.
    The MOT was up in november last year, and it predictably failed, though only on the B post (where the courtesy light switch is). That was the catalyst, either scrap, and buy another, or get on with the rebuild.
    Its nearly done, after close to a year, but after a lot of welding and paint (its now in Lotus red over white with a gold stripe) and a fresh set of 14in BBS wheels, I'm getting excited to have it back on the road. Will get some pictures up as soon as I can. Thanks Adrian

Hi Adrian, welcome to the club. Looking forward to seeing the photos. Mike

MR2 Fan
    Thanks Mike, my fiends bodyshop (where the MR2 has been all year!!) is open again next week so hoping to get some pics up then

Welcome to the club!

It's great to hear that you've wanted a Mk1 since you first experienced one all those years ago! Really looking forward to seeing the pictures of your car too.

Cheers,
    Tom

PS: I've just sent through your membership details.