Thread: Hi from Wiltshire

MR2 Lurker

Hi from Wiltshire

Hi All,

Just thought I would say hello and check this club / forum out, it seemed a good place to start with mk1's!

I've been wanting a little old sporty car to look after, bomb around in and tinker with, and I quite fancy the sound of a mk1 MR2.

I don't know a great deal about them, so will be reading through some posts on the forum

I wondered if there was anyone near Swindon or Gloucester on here that would mind meeting up so that I could have a chat and perhaps go for a little ride in one to see if they are really for me? As I mentioned I like the old school look and they sound like the sort of thing I am looking for, but want to have a good idea of what they are like and what I would be getting myself in to.

I haven't got large budget, around 2k but it seems that I should be able to find a tidy one for that price.

I did see a nice looking V6 one posted up for sale, bit of a unique car it seems but it is over 300 miles away from me and I think probably sold by now.

I also saw the blue supercharged motor for sale on ebay again, and traced it back to this forum, it seems it has a bit of a suspect history since being sold on from here so I think I will steer clear of that one!

Cheers!

Steve

Hi Steve
    Glad to see somebody close, I live in Cheltenham. I have a 89 T bar in red which is currently on the road until the end of october when i shall put it away for the winter .
    More than happy to meet up and take you for a spin, you can give me a call on 07975718146 for a chat and to organise something.
    I am a mk1 celica nut , but bought the Mr2 7 years ago as good ones then were getting hard to find , it is a 97k 2 owner car and i must admit i have had loads of fun with it this summer especially with this sunny weather . it is not immaculate but a very genuine original car which still has all its original panels and is still in original paint.
    i am gradually working my way round lots of small jobs so that when i put it away there won't many to do next spring when it comes out of hibernation.
    give me a call and we can organise something.

malcolm.

MR2 Lurker
    Thanks for the response Malcolm, and the offer to meet up I normally head down your way at least once a week, I'll drop you a line.

My expectation is that they are a fun little characterful car to nip around in, which is what I am looking for.

Mk1 Celica's are very nice looking cars indeed!

MR2 Lurker
    Have noticed this one, doesn't sound too bad but ends in two days, so will likely be gone before I can get chance to look at it :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-TOYOT...item19f44c5e71

MR2 Lurker
    I like the looks of white on black:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C544068

I can't see many other that catch my eye at the moment, but a quick check on the completed and sold listings on a popular auction site reveals that lots come and go, so it might be worth waiting for the right one

The colours I like most I have seen are they very dark blue color, black and white.

I have no objections to red or other colors just the above is my order of preference, but if the car turns out to be something I really want and the right condition and spec comes up for the right price then I may have to concede on color

Hi and Welcome Steve.

£2,000 is a good budget and you can pick up a very good example for that amount of money. Even a car with sub 70k miles as well.

Original black cars are very rare, but Mica Blue and white are very common. My first MK1 was red and it was a PITA to keep red all the time! You can get two different variants of white:

Superwhite 040 & Superwhite 043 - there is a distinct difference in colour so be wary if you get a 1989 MK1 as this way well be 043 - it's only a pain when you find you cannot get body panels (albeit second hand) that match you paintwork as most are 040.

http://www.toyotareference.com/mr2/1985-1989

Good luck in your search.

MR2 Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by superwhite90 View Post
    Hi and Welcome Steve.

£2,000 is a good budget and you can pick up a very good example for that amount of money. Even a car with sub 70k miles as well.

Original black cars are very rare, but Mica Blue and white are very common. My first MK1 was red and it was a PITA to keep red all the time! You can get two different variants of white:

Superwhite 040 & Superwhite 043 - there is a distinct difference in colour so be wary if you get a 1989 MK1 as this way well be 043 - it's only a pain when you find you cannot get body panels (albeit second hand) that match you paintwork as most are 040.

http://www.toyotareference.com/mr2/1985-1989

Good luck in your search.
    Great, thanks for the info

I'd also like to thank Malcolm for taking the time out today to show me his Mk1, give me some pointers and allowing me to go for a spin in his car

I'm quite keen to get one, but definitely need to try and be a little patient and get the right one.