Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Hey Guys. Starting my mk1 mr2 adventure.

A couple of pounds for the seal and about 30-60mins labour should do it.

Maybe somebody else knows the price of a head gasket replacement?

It's a pretty reasonable job to do yourself to be honest.

It would take a garage 2-3 hours to get the head off, clean up block deck if necessary, they'll probably tell you the head needs skimming to screw you over even more, then couple of hours to put all back together. Then then charge you for oil change etc

If you get a proper garage to do it i would budget 500 to 600 pounds for a proper job , the head will need skimming and pressure testing ( any self respecting garage wont do the job if it isn't tested and can lead to the job back firing ). The cam belt will need changing + water pump all related gaskets , water and oil . if the cast iron block has corroded and pitted badly it will need decking this will put the cost up even more and it will be cheaper to put another engine in . Get a proper test done first to see if the hg has failed , if your only doing short runs in the car and never getting it up to temp this can cause sludging on the cap .

MR2 Newbie
    Wow. OK then. That's a ton of info. Thanks fellas. I've been making A LOT of short runs lately due to necessity. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun a little and assuming the worst. I'll book it in somewhere local and get it tested before I full on panic and throw money at it. Gonna start looking for somewhere close to home...

I'll be in touch...

:-l