Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Guys. Starting my mk1 mr2 adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by KGB603 View Post
    Seems to have been well looked after on the face of it. Engine bay looks nice and honest. Bodywise its had new front wings and there is something odd going on on all four arches, they appear to be painted black on the outer edges. The mudflaps have been painted black too. Overall, probably worth a look.
    All good spots. It's such a minefield for first time buyers isn't it!

MR2 Newbie
    I see what you mean about the arches. I wonder what it could be? Some rustproofing perhaps. I'll have to see. Got my mechanic chum coming with me Wednesday morning to have a look at it. If were lucky we can push the price down a bit.

Absolutely, use all of the above and everything you and your mate find to push the price down. My bet is on a bit of wob being hidden by underseal on the arch edges. Im sure Gary has told you what to check... with it being a tbar make sure you get the carpets up for a look at the floorpan. Good luck!

MR2 Newbie
    Indeed. Don't want to get stung with a shed for my first car. PM'd Gary. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the run up to Wednesday. Fingers crossed...

Well in your case its the cash more than the shed aspect you need to be careful with. As the newest mk1s are 24, every single one you see will have something "wrong", the trick is to find one with as little wrong as possible or with stuff that is fixable within your skillset. As long as you or your mate know your way round older stuff I am sure you will be fine, just take your time and dont be pressured into making a decision on the day - if something doesnt seem right you can always take pics and/or ask here if you need a 3rd opinion before making a decision.

MR2 Newbie
    Excellent advice. And as always, very appreciative of the fonts of knowledge you seem to be!

I'll do my best to be as conservative as possible. This is a one shot deal for me. Can't afford to make a big mistake. Must go in with my head switched on and eyes open. Heart pushed waaaay down out of sight and mind! XD

Aye. Make sure you control buyers fever!

Had a look at the pics and the car does seem straight apart from the arches on the rear , they could be plastic protectors on the arch but if its under seal that high up its hiding something . you always look ground up on a mk1 if the floors and front chassis are solid you are off to a good start , the rear arches look original in pics but if you think there is corrosion check the inner arch this is more important than the outer but budget 500-1200 pound to have the rear arches repaired . The pic showing the seat looks like the b post has corrosion on the lower edge but it might be dirt . The main things to check front crash bar (150 pounds to buy if you can get one ) A posts and B posts , front chassis , sills , arches ( rear) ,top of window screen edge , check for t bar leaks and lift the carpet around the front to see if its wet . There is more but ring me if your stuck . when are you looking at it , its only 21 miles from me .

Gary

MR2 Newbie
    Thanks Gary. Good stuff to work with. I'll forward all this info on to my friend so he's more aware of these areas. I'll try and get more information from the seller in the meantime.

MR2 Fan
    Willy Bob

Welcome and great to hear you are a fan of the Mk1 MR2. Wonderful to hear you are keen to invest in one!

A couple of further things to consider.

1 - As has been pointed out by many these cars are a quarter of a century old. With your budget you are definitely going to have some work to do.

2 - I note you say you have recently passed your test -Congratulations! However, do be aware of the handling characteristics of these cars. The mid engine rear wheel drive set up is wonderful on a fine day but can be harder to control in slippery conditions. There are no driver aids to help you out! If you are going to be using your car as a daily drive I would recommend some skid control training. I learnt the hard way - my first Mk1 12 years ago ended up in a lamp post after a month of owning! I repaired it and sold it on, as realised it was not the right car for my life at the time. I have only recently re-entered the Mk1 world now that I can afford one as a second car that is kept in the garage on a wet day!

So happy hunting - and when you find 'the one' happy driving!

Dave