Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Guys. Starting my mk1 mr2 adventure.

MR2 Newbie

Hey Guys. Starting my mk1 mr2 adventure.

Finally past my driving test the other week. 10 years later than originally intended. Never had the time or the money before. So I sat down and had a good long think about what car to get. Tried the usual "first car" types and just didn't click with any of them.

But then I remember my next door neighbour getting a mk1 when I was a wee lad and how much I loved it. Been a fan of the cars ever since. So now it's my mission in life to get my hands on one as soon as possible. Problem is low low fundage and the scarcity of these little gems.

Finally thought I'd found one. Plan was to go see/buy today. Very excited... It sold before I could get there. Very sad indeed.

Now it would appear all the useable ones in my price range have disappeared from the world. I've been snooping around on this forum for months and decided it was time to make myself known, and appeal to the fine members of the club for assistance. If anyone, anytime, can point me in the right direction to start my journey, I'd be forever in your debt. And if there are those of you with cars you'd like to shift but not committed to it yet, let me know and I might give it a loving home!

That's about it for me and my story. Hope to become a car owning member of this community as soon as possible and potentially meet others in upcoming events!

Hi
    welcome and I hope you find a car soon.

I am not sure if you have seen this one, as it is not in the car section on Ebay. It has an MOT and will probably sell for less money than if it is parted out.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Mr2...item43cfc2519d

Based on the advert info, it might not be perfect but is will probably be very cheap.

Also, I would recommend you join as a paid member, as it is about the best £10 you will ever spend if you are serious about Mk1's.

MR2 Newbie
    Thanks Johnso. I am very serious about Mk1's. Just got my wallet out too

I hadn't seen the yellow one tbf. That slipped by me. Had a look at it. Problem is, despite my profession, I'm not very mechanically minded or proficient. So I need something mechanically sound to get me started. And its yellow XD
    Thanks for the pointer though. I really appreciate it.

Hi, welcome & congratulations on passing your test! What a great choice for a first car. What exactly is your budget? mk1 dal (Gary) is prepping his white G plate sunroof car for sale, its a fantastic low miles example and he is one the most capable, honest members you could wish to buy from. It will not be the cheapest out there, I am sure of that, BUT heres the thing: in my eyes most mk1s can still be defined as cheap cars (afterall we live in a world where some brand new fiestas cost £17k+) but its all relative to how you want to benchmark it I suppose. http://www.mr2mk1club.com/showthread...a-belter/page4

Also, the sherwood car that came up in the ebay thread looked a bargain on the face of it!

MR2 Newbie
    Thanks KGB. My budget is very restricted at the minute. £1500 maximum so I realise that limits my options quite a lot. Just to give you an example, here's the one I missed out on...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...529530&alt=web

Gary's car looks amazing. I would happily sacrifice an appendage if it meant I could afford something like that, but it'll be a couple of years before I have that sort of money. Really appreciate the help though. Thanks

Prices are going up, but £1500 should still find you something half decent if you are patient. I bet the sherwood one on ebay would sell for that. If one comes up in Merseyside you are interested in, drop me a pm & ill go take a look for you.

Hi and welcome Willybob, I concur with Kris (KGB603) that values are on the rise, but you should carefully reconsider your budget if you intend it to be your daily drive. £1500 is effectively a decent laptop and an equivalent MR2 would likely to need a few £k more to remedy ingrained rust etc, etc. You really need to spend as much as you can afford, and if that isn't enough at the mo, then perhaps wait a little while and save your pennies.

Gary's motor will undoubtably be a great buy with only around 50k on the clock I believe, a real low miler, for probably only a little more than double your budget, but you will have a reliable car that you will be able to keep for a good while and be proud to show off at the events the club organises over the year.

Good luck with your search.

MR2 Newbie
    Hi Vistalite. Thanks for the input. In fact, thanks everyone so far. It's been great having such good feedback and advice. I concur with your point. I wish I wasn't on such I tight budget. I really do. But saving any more will prove to be difficult. By the time I've saved enough to buy something of that calibre, chances are the prices will rise even further. It's kind of a catch 22. I suppose your right of course. Patience is key. I'll have to keep my finger on the pulse and my eyes open. Hope for some luck. In a couple of years (and a nice promotion) money will be less of an issue. Just need the car to see me through till then and I can give it all the love, TLC and £££ it needs. It's probably silly to say so now, but I forsee this love affair continuing for years to come