Thread: An ex-owner wondering where are they now?

MR2 Lurker

An ex-owner wondering where are they now?

Hi all,

During my motoring life, I've owned a pair of Mk1 MR2's which I'm proud to say left me in (mostly) better nick than when I got them. While browsing Facebook today, an old acquaintance posted a video of an old Men & Motors short about 2CV racing which I was loosely connected to back in the day. Lo and behold, behind the presenter was my old MR2 sitting alongside the racers. It got me thinking - I wonder where she is now?

Here's a picture of E271 HKV back when I owned her as a proud 22 year old! Strangely, she had rare factory fitted air conditioning but was confirmed as a UK car and not an import.

Soon after, it was involved in a hefty incident on the Peartree roundabout Oxford involving a pair of black Renault Clios that both managed to rear-end it at the same time. My then partner at the time luckily wasn't injured and she managed to drive it back home - albeit some 4 inches shorter. It was repaired with all new rear panels thanks to an unusual amount of haggling with the insurers. Sadly, due to the sudden death of my partner, I could no longer afford to Run my MR2, and after 5 happy and trouble free years of ownership, I sold it to a couple in the North Midlands who had plans to really look after it - I'm fairly sure they would have.

Fast forward a couple of years, and with a couple of lucky breaks and a move down south meant I could look for another MR2 - G346 UUW. This one was apparently 'low mileage' but was in unloved condition and the clutch was shot. The body work was done as well as the clutch (and a bent rear control arm that tried unsuccessfully to buck me into a Devonshire hedge - it's still in the garage as a trophy). Then came the full stainless exhaust and lots of other little goodies!

However, it soon became apparent that it burned an alarming amount of oil so eventually, with real life looming (kids, mortgage, move out of Hove etc) that too had to go to a chap from Brighton.

I certainly miss them both, but where are they now?

Does anyone know the whereabouts of E271 HKV and G346 UUW?

Quick check on DVLA website reveals no trace of E271HKV so probably scrapped and G346UUW is SORN

MR2 Lurker
    It's surprising that E271 met that end as it was as it was in great condition when I sold it. I checked DVLA a year or so ago and it was taxed up and on the road. I wonder if it was written off (god knows I almost did on several occasions!). Sad if so!

Not too surprised with G346 as, while it was utterly sound bodily, the engine was sounding doggy. It had not led a pampered life before I owned it! Wonder if it's sitting forlorn in a lockup down in Brighton somewhere?!

MR2 Newbie
    probably a long shot but it will come back as no trace on that registration number if it's now on a private plate..... so most likely scrapped but not necessarily so.

MR2 Lurker
    Well that certainly gives me hope! The couple that bought it were well heeled and were planing to use it for high-days, holidays and as a future investment. His wife was looking for a more modern car but he insisted that she took it out for a drive - it changed her mind and I was given the asking price without any haggling. If I remember correctly, he had a private plate on his car... There wasn't a trace of rust, but then that was well over a decade ago! It was a gem.

MR2 Fan
    Great pictures, it sounds like you have had a lovely trip down memory lane.

Looks like you have owned 2 great cars... has it got you thinking about 3rd time lucky?

MR2 Lurker
    Sadly they're a little out of my project car budget nowadays! I had a 205 GTi after the last one (disappointing), a £170 Honda Prelude VTEC (ruined but good while it lasted), a Mk3 Golf GTI (awful car - never ran) and I've settled on a Ford Puma that I've slowly been restoring for the last 3 years (don't knock them until you've tried them). However, if the opportunity comes up for a cheap MR2 in the future and I had the funds, I'd be all over it! Spent a total of 8 years driving them and they never grew boring!

MR2 Lurker
    Also, I notice you're from Stratford On Avon Boondougal! That's where my first MR2 came from (I grew up in Shipston On Stour) and where it was serviced - Murley Auto on Western Road before they became a Citroen dealership.

MR2 Fan
    Oops, looks like i forgot to update my location... moved just over 2 years ago now!

Thanks for pointing it out.. funny coincidence really.