Hi All,

I’ve just sold my Mk3 roadster and swithering on what to go for next.

I hale from Scotland (I’m a southie but I’ve been a settler for a number of years).

I’m a bit shy on posting on forums now as I put one post on one of the MK3 forums and got completely flamed when asking if old school tuning could be done with the MK3 engine (gas flowed heads etc.). So, please note up front not being a complete d**k just asking some advice from you guys who have the knowledge and know how.

I looked at MK1's before buying the MK3 but now my circumstances have changed I’d like to go back to see what I can do/get for a MK1. The MK3 handled lovely but was a bit underwhelming in performance and a lot of effort and cost (relatively speaking) was required to get some more power to make it a really good car.

So, now for my options. I'm handy enough with tools but welding is a bit cack so thought I’d put out what I think are options and hopefully you can help with advice.

My head tells me to start with a basic model, get used to it and then gradually improve/increase performance over time. Please note I know I can buy something else like a Subaru but I like the idea of improving a good thing over time and keeping up my interest.

All of these options have a few factors of cost, effort and insurance complications of course.

1) Standard Mk1 - Tuning, is it possible to take the standard lump and tune it for a reasonable amount to get similar outputs as the MK1 Supercharged version?

2) Mk1 Supercharged - Are these rare and expensive to buy? Are they expensive to insure off the peg? Is it better tuning or go down the route of a MK 1.5?

3) MK1.5 - Don’t flame me! My understanding is that the MK 1.5 is a MK1 with a MK2 engine or something more exotic? Aside from the cost of converting etc are these difficult/expensive to insure? (Im the wrong side of 40 as a guide on age) are their preferred roads to go down to get a great handling/performing car?

That’s it for now. Hopefully you can help provide some steer and guidance on those that have been there seen it and done it.

All the best.

G