Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member - Just sold my roadster and looking for advice on mk1 options.

MR2 Lurker

New member - Just sold my roadster and looking for advice on mk1 options.

Hi All,

I’ve just sold my Mk3 roadster and swithering on what to go for next.

I hale from Scotland (I’m a southie but I’ve been a settler for a number of years).

I’m a bit shy on posting on forums now as I put one post on one of the MK3 forums and got completely flamed when asking if old school tuning could be done with the MK3 engine (gas flowed heads etc.). So, please note up front not being a complete d**k just asking some advice from you guys who have the knowledge and know how.

I looked at MK1's before buying the MK3 but now my circumstances have changed I’d like to go back to see what I can do/get for a MK1. The MK3 handled lovely but was a bit underwhelming in performance and a lot of effort and cost (relatively speaking) was required to get some more power to make it a really good car.

So, now for my options. I'm handy enough with tools but welding is a bit cack so thought I’d put out what I think are options and hopefully you can help with advice.

My head tells me to start with a basic model, get used to it and then gradually improve/increase performance over time. Please note I know I can buy something else like a Subaru but I like the idea of improving a good thing over time and keeping up my interest.

All of these options have a few factors of cost, effort and insurance complications of course.

1) Standard Mk1 - Tuning, is it possible to take the standard lump and tune it for a reasonable amount to get similar outputs as the MK1 Supercharged version?

2) Mk1 Supercharged - Are these rare and expensive to buy? Are they expensive to insure off the peg? Is it better tuning or go down the route of a MK 1.5?

3) MK1.5 - Don’t flame me! My understanding is that the MK 1.5 is a MK1 with a MK2 engine or something more exotic? Aside from the cost of converting etc are these difficult/expensive to insure? (Im the wrong side of 40 as a guide on age) are their preferred roads to go down to get a great handling/performing car?

That’s it for now. Hopefully you can help provide some steer and guidance on those that have been there seen it and done it.

All the best.

G

Hi mate, welcome to the club! there is lots of ideas and advice, on here!, great making a car your own! have fun! ,Mike.

There are much more experienced and knowledgable people here but from reading the forums it seems based on your points:

1) the engine is already highly tuned so major mods are needed to give more power and follow the chnages done for racing ( cams shafts and custom ecu, etc)

2) does have extra power but biggest change is the increased torque. As import only not so common.

3) turbo mk2 engine good match for car in terms of power increase etc but must be done well or very unreliable.

The other option you have not mentioned is a wood sport engined car. You should have a look for the range of cars that he has made. There is a range from Audi v8 to more modest toyota engines.

I guess it depends on what you want, I enjoy my standard car. It makes a good noise, handles very well and has very usable performance.

Hello and welcome.

I can't really help you with your first two points, but I can definitely recommend the 1.5 option. The stock mk1's are great cars and huge fun to drive, but if you find yourself wanting more power then you can't go far wrong with a 3sgte. It's a time consuming swap, but well worth it. Or there's the v6 option (something I want to try myself as some point). If you want to find out more about conversions get yourself onto the twobrutal forums aswell. There's loads of good conversion info there.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/forum.php

Hi and welcome, I'm in Falkirk and will soon be selling my mk1 V6 in black, it goes for an mot tomorrow then will be properly advertised. I also have a mk3 V6, which is also fun but there is something addictive about the pop up lights and angles of the mk1

MR2 Lurker
    Hi Donna,

Would love to see some photos of both and some specs.

If you could PM me your rough price guide as well that would be great.

Thanks

G
    Last edited by gruntus; 23rd July 2014 at 07:02 PM.

Hi and welcome,
    If you ever need any assistance with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
    Regards,
    Dan.

Welcome along

In terms of your questions, I probably can't add too much but I'll throw in my 2p as well

1) The standard Mk1 I find is actually a pretty different beast to the mk3 - the focus is still on handling, but where I've found the mk3 engine pretty uninspiring when you press on the little 4a-ge really loves to rev and rewards you when you do. It's not the quickest thing in the world but it's certainly a lot of fun! Power mods aren't really worth the effort IMHO - you're unlikely to get much more than 10-15bhp without spending silly money. I'd definitely recommend one as it's a hell of a driving experience out of the box.

2) Having had a standard NA and an SC, as said the main difference is torque. The blower is active from any revs if you plant your foot, and the longer-ratio box really makes use of the extra power. It also adds about 50kg, but in all honesty I never really noticed this. Mine started off standard (145bhp ish) and after a year or so I performed the usual power mod by fitting an over-sized crank pulley and modifying the ABV to create more boost (around 1 BAR IIRC @ 180bhp). This makes a big difference to the power delivery without ruining what I'd call the essential Mk1 driving values. You can get 200bhp+ but that involves more work and money - SCs have been built to 250bhp before but if you have to ask how much it costs you probably can't afford it! Some SCs also came with LSDs which are definitely worth having
    Decent SCs seem to be creeping up to the £5-7k price range now, but I'd be surprised if you lost any money on the value. There are cheaper ones about but many are autos.

3) I've not owned a Mk1.5 but I have driven one with around 280bhp and it was just mind-blowing. Mental stuff. It completely changes the characteristics of the car in terms of handling prowess because everything is just dominated by the power, but if you want something to scare yourself silly with this is the way to go

My only advice really is: don't write off the standard mk1 due to its 'lack' of power - make sure you have a drive of one before you decide which route to go down

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    My only advice really is: don't write off the standard mk1 due to its 'lack' of power - make sure you have a drive of one before you decide which route to go down
    Couldn't have put it any better
    Try taking one over the B925 to Kirkcaldy and you'll see what we mean
    Last edited by jimi; 25th July 2014 at 02:46 PM.
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Echoed also. I've got a Mk1.5, but I still really enjoy thrashing my standard engined car.

Go for it, you won't regret it!