Thread: Going to look at an 86 Mk1 tonight

MR2 Lurker

Going to look at an 86 Mk1 tonight

Hi going to look at a 1986 C Mk1 tonight hopefully it turns out to be a good one, last one I owned was back in 1986 when I bought a new white one so hopefully if all goes to plan a deja-vu moment.

Looks nice in the pictures red with a lot of replacement panels in the key areas, with low mileage and tidy interior.

I will let you know how I get on.

good luck!!!

Yes good luck and remember to get underneath, look behind the side skirts at the sills, the top of the windscreen and underneath the front and rear boot rubber boot seals, from experience rot is the most important thing to check for.
    Jon

How did you get on David?

MR2 Lurker
    Had a good look round it last night although didn't take it out as it was torrential rain, looks really good no rot except a few bubbles under the paint on the rear quarter just close to the rear pillar, underneath looked very good as did the arches and sills, paintwork needed a good detail and the engine bay lid needs the catch lifting to set the height but other than those few things really impressed. Interior almost perfect except the armrest which was loose, everything worked and windows went up and down beautifully.

Just not sure! Guy said he had forgotten to send of the slip for the V5 when he bought it last year, then had it sent to wrong address now can't find it so is re-applying, rest of history looks good done 1700 miles since 2010 so hardly used and a replacement engine in 1993 so motor has only 46K on it and car itself only has 76K miles. I think the guy is genuine and car is stored at his parents house so seems OK he also agreed that there would be no sale until the V5 arrives so like I said think it's probably OK.

Just not sure, car would not be a garage queen and one part of me wants to treat it as such and the other says its only a "cheap" car so buy it use it as designed.

Thinking it over!!!!

MR2 Lurker
    Well decided against buying it, nothing wrong with the car just how it would have to be used if I bought it, so gone in a different direction and bought a Celica TSport. Little more practical and all year usable and should be more robust for how I need to use it.