Thanks everyone for your replies. Update:

Collected the 'blue arrow' (just a code name for now. To be finalized) from North Lancashire yesterday, had a hot but fun drive back. Once I figure out his to do so, I will post some pics.

The car did pop out of 5th on 4 occasions, a bit scary the first time it happens when you're in the outer lane on the M6! I've seen different articles suggesting replacing the box or just the 5th gear and fork. Any thought ? Any recommendations for a garage in or near Birmingham (I am thoroughly useless and won't attempt anything myself...).

Seats - the last owner replaced the knackered leather seats with ones from a Mk3 (MRS edition ones he said) which actually are pretty good. I bought from him, and just about squeezed into the passenger seat, the two originals (in a sorry state) along with the original steering wheel. Would love to get these re-clothed - KGB - that is a damn fine interior - if you don't mind my asking, where did you have it done (and more pertinently, red or blue?).

Security - have booked for a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser on Monday. Hope it doesn't get nicked before then... Might also invest in a Disklok type steering wheel lock.

Lexa, would be great to catch up with a local owner and suggestions for re-clothing/garage that appreciates a mk1 would be most welcome.

Thanks everyone and I'm really pleased to finally own an MR2, it's only taken me 20 years to get there!