Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Le Mans 2015

MR2 Newbie
    IM seriously contemplating doing this! will run it by the wife as it falls on our 1 year wedding anniversary. would combine it with a trip to Bordeaux, Zaragaza, Bacelona (Wife wifes home town) to visit the in-laws and finally Bilbao. It works out to be a round trip of 1600 miles which would seriously test the MR2.

Does anyone have any tips on preparing for such a trip? full service is a given, but are there any neccesity tools/spares that may prove useful should I have a problem?

Was thinking to make a check list of things to take, such as oil, spare nuts/bolts, metal tape (pretty useful stuff for bodge repairs!!)

My car is standard, and has not had any bush, brake or suspension replacements or upgrades.

Thanks!!!

S

Maybe replace or carry a spare thermostat and pre-check as much as possible brake pads, dizzy o-ring etc.

I'm not sure if any AW11s were sold in Spain? so you might find spares hard to come by. For a country with hundreds of days of sunshine each year you see surprisingly few convertibles as well.

Did you mean Zaragoza? I'm considering a road trip to Spain as well so will be interesting to see how you get on.

Have done Lemans and Le mans classic the last 2 years and probably looking to do Lemans this year as there will be a massive scrap with nissan and other manufacturers to compete with audi and toyota.
    If you want some help with route etc , we went non autoroute , so paid no tolls please give me a shout.
    didn't do it in the mr2 , but its a good run to there and roads are excellent so shouldn't be a problem , likely to do it in a celica taa22 this year or wide-bodied supra , so will need to the same preparation as for the mr2.
    Massive free classic car show at a village to the north of lemans on the friday really worth going to. we used Travel Destinations to book crossings and camp site, who were excellent.
    The lemans experience is mind blowing , masses of people,very friendly , no trouble and just great motor racing.
    Cheers Malcolm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_8436.jpg   DSC_0474.jpg  
    Last edited by celica1600gt; 15th January 2015 at 10:15 AM.

MR2 Newbie
    Thanks for the starting list Stuart, im sure the list will grow as time goes by! replaced the gasket a few months back and checked all the belts, water pump etc so fingers crossed i wont have any problems internally.

I have never seen an MR" in Spain, Mk1, 2 or 3! the driving and accidents in Spain are horrendous, people don't respect the cars or others as the Insurance situation and policies are corrupt and worthless. its very difficult to get an provider to pay out, so people who have a crash or a simple bump just live with the damage to the car. you will see more cars that are damaged than them that arnt.

I go to Spain 5 times a year to visit the wife's family. I've been to most places now, and the roads around the Pyrenees, Bilbao and the South of Spain are spectacular. If you would like any ideas or advise, im sure me or my wife can help!

Celica, so advise on the route and around France would be helpful. Never driven in France, and know the best route from Caen to Le Mans would be very useful!

Scott

Well here goes:-
    Dover Calais crossing , straight onto the autoroute towards Boulogne.At Boulogne just before the tolls can't remember whether it is junction 28 or 29 come off onto the D341 towards Montreuil then continue on to Abeville through there onto the other side and pick up the autoroute all the way to Rouen , this section is not tolled. Off at Rouen through the city across the river and then pick up the N138 out of the city which is dual carriageway, up onto a short length of the auto route going towards Caen , then drop off back onto the N138 , this road has been merged with the autoroute for a short distance, hence this step.Then head for Bernay( ring road round town) and then onto Alencon. Through Alencon , down to Le mans . You hit this in the top corner and need to be down in the bottom corner for the track. Onto the dual carriage down the right hand side of lemans around the town( the ring only goes round three quarters of the way around the town you have to go this way to get to the bottom, the dual carriageway goes over a railway yard and then drops down into house and factories, once in this area not far after hypermarket on the left you hits set of traffic lights with a big modern building on the right , turn right here down through houses past a Carrefour ( closest supermarket for Food) then to a roundabout , don't take first which looks like a long entrance to the track , but take next left which drops down onto a dual carriageway , go a hundred yards and then off again ,follow this road to the end at T junction circuit in front of you , turn right along the circuit which will take you in the direction of the campsites.
    It takes about 5hrs 30 mins on this route due to slower speed limits than the uk , however roads are empty and excellent as is the signposting , will save you £60 in tolls down and back.
    We have used this route both times and it is fine with a good french road map.if you need any further help let me know - Malcolm.
    Last edited by celica1600gt; 16th January 2015 at 09:11 AM.

MR2 Newbie
    Thanks! I was thinking to do Portsmouth to Caen, I will be coming from Manchester and I have friends in Portsmouth. But will look into this option!

Thanks Malcom.

If you go that way , you can pick the autoroute up from Caen to Paris and then drop onto the N138 to lemans , not sure if that length of autoroute is tolled. malcolm.