Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SE Region review of 2013

25th August. MR2 Kent Run No 2.

Pete Mason organised a new Kent run. Two events on the same day we were spoilt for choice!
    The new route started at M20 Hythe services and involved driving along the coast around Folkstone and Dover. The route works out around 50 miles with three stops. The first is at the Honda Bike Café. The next stop is at the battle of Britain Memorial at Capel-le-Fern with the final stop at Samphire Hoe right on the beach at the base of the famous white cliffs of Dover. Pete reports back a very successful route. “This is a great run with some fantastic roads” says Pete and is now keen to introduce the run in our calendar of next years’ events.

8th September. Harris Hospice classic car show

Following their summer fair and car show the Harris Hospice organisers that as the cars are very popular at the summer fair they would hold their own classic car show at nearby Tripes Farm in Chelsfield just a short distance from Orpington, my home town. Tripes Farm is generally used for boot fairs so it actually suited a car show very well. We were surprised and delighted at how well attended their first car was both by exhibitors and the public. It was well organised, especially the public parking, there was a few stalls and an arena so there was something to see all day long. I’m sure as time goes on this show will get better and better and become a regular show on our calendar.

29th September. Modified Live at Brands Hatch

Modified Live is a touring show in regional circuits of high performance and speed, with events both on and off the track and an interactive element that has an appeal extending beyond motor racing events. Track action included the pinnacle of motorsport, with Benetton and Hesketh F1 cars taking part in demonstration runs. Other highlights on the circuit include the final round of the season for the spectacular Time Attack championship - a 'beat the clock' challenge for highly tuned road cars plus racing from a combined grid of Civic Cup and Smarts 4U Racing series cars!
    There is also the opportunity to take your own car on the track for just £25 but everyone preferred to enjoy a sideways ride in a Drift Taxi for just £10. The action wasn't just restricted to the track - there are 'show and shine' competitions, a sound system challenge, mobile dyno, entertainment stage, trade stands and car club displays which we all enjoyed.

Brilliant write-up Alan, it's been a hell of a year! Hope to see you at a few events in 2014

Thanks Ben. I was browsing through the photos and thought I'd share them. 2014 is going to be even better than last year. I'll look forward to seeing you!

Very good reading this and really good pictures. Thanks again Alan. Was quite a good year for us I think particularly with Ben and Steve getting Mark 1's again. Teaming up with the Driver's Club has evolved into something quite special as well. Good also to see previous members Pete Kyte and Jinxy at some events. Looking forward to seeing everyone next year plus Pete Mason and Kelly and their new cars. Can't wait to see Pete M's 1.5.

Thanks Alan.
    Last edited by andyj; 4th January 2014 at 11:48 AM.

Excellent review of the events over the last year! We enjoyed seeing everyone and look forward to meeting up in 2014.
    It's just a shame we live so far away, otherwise we'd be able to attend more of the events.

Happy New Year!

Ray and Nicola

Great review Alan!

I hope to make at least one event down your way in 2014. There looks like a great variety of shows and meets. Keep up the fantastic work!

Hope you're well in 2014.

Cheers,
    Tom

Get yourself down for the Kent Coast Run, dude

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Get yourself down for the Kent Coast Run, dude
    The Kent Coast Run looks great, but even for me, a 460+ mile round drive before adding on the run mileage is a bit excessive for a day out! Hehe!

I'll keep an eye out for one of the full weekend events though definitely.

See you soon dude!