Thread: Best car ever?

MR2 Newbie

Best car ever?

I was lucky enough to be given a new Mk1 Mica Blue Tbar as my first company car.I did 18k miles in it in just over a year and the only issue I had was warped discs at 12k. Having been lucky enough to own some other exotic machinery over the years , I came back to the Mk 1 fold about 18 months ago. Firstly, I cannot believe how cheap they are (albeit in varying condition).Secondly, they are just as much fun to drive twenty five years on ,as they were when they were new. My daily drive gets left behind if I need to nip somewhere in a hurry, no other car is such a hoot on a short blast. If E-Types are fetching £100k (and compared to the Mk 1 they are like a tank to drive ) ,then IMHO the Mk1 should be fetching 5 figure prices by now. Still that's every ones loss and our gain!

Welcome along!

Yes, the Mk1 presents excellent value at the moment. I think the next 5 years are going to sort out the good from the bad.

It must have been so cool driving one of these around in the 80's.

Cheers,
    Tom

MR2 Newbie
    It must have been so cool driving one of these around in the 80's.

Cheers,
    Tom[/QUOTE]

Tom, Rick Astley on the stereo ( somewhat tinny on the 1b) roof out, Sun out, it was the business. I borrowed a colleague's BMW 320 one weekend as I need four seats, he didn't give it back for two weeks! Back then know one really knew what they were. I was brought up on fast Ford's and it brought tears to my eyes the day a 3 litre Ghia Capri tried to race me away from the lights and lost. The 2.8I was a closer run thing though. The day I came home with the car, my neighbours came out to gawp at it, they couldn't believe it was an 11 grand car and all thought it must be a lot more expensive. Happy times and as you say it was cool to have driven one in the 80`s, even if what I was wearing was somewhat dubious! All the best, Gavin

Welcome to the club Gavin. Mike

MR2 Newbie
    Thanks Mike!