Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having fun looking for our first MR2

Cool Having fun looking for our first MR2

Hi folks, I'm Sara & my husband is Richard. We hadn't introduced ourselves before because I felt a bit embarrassed that we don't have one yet, but, well, here goes:

Everyone has to have a 'first' MR2 & it was Rich's dream car when he was a penniless student! Me, I've always loved old classics, having owned a mini (hasn't everyone) a landrover, and old golfs, volvo & mercs (much prefer RWD), but I've always wanted a classic 2 seater sports car. As for small jobs, which I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, well it's relative - to me, a small job is servicing, changing distributor, rocker cover gasket etc. To Rich anything mechanical is a small job, bar changing engine & gearbox - he just doesn't like major welding jobs, replacing whole panels etc - hence we'd like one with good bodywork, which we can maintain (waxoyl here we come) as our first.

Currently Rich has a 350z, in 'sunset' which he's had from new & maintains himself (the neighbours all have leased mercs & think we're bonkers not using garages). I have a practical car for conveying elderly relatives & stuff for work. The MR2 is to be our baby - something to play with at weekends, especially as it's always too flipping drizzly to go out on the bikes.

Anyway, that's us. Rich & Sara. We'd like to get to know you all. Pick your brains, meet you & your MK1s. Do get in touch if you know of a sorted one for sale, or just to give us any advice on our search!

Cheers.

Welcome both, good luck with the search

** Banned User **
    Give Paul Sims a shout hes got a really nice white T bar that's solid and a really nice light blue t bar one with mk3 leather seats both have been restored

Hi Sara
    Welcome to the group ,think we may have spoke, I have these 2 for sale http://www.mr2mk1club.com/showthread...nd-white-t-bar also I will have a Mica blue one T bar for sale in the next few weeks.also as Dave says a nice Tbar helios light blue all of which will be 12 months mot and taxed so ready to drive away.....
    Regards

I'll have a guess that's where the one from Sheffield went Paul, you beat me to it in my own neck of the woods

Alan...

** Banned User **
    Hes got 2 of them in the light blue one has had a fortune spent on it including a full engine rebuild

Hi Alan,

No this is another one that has had a fortune spent on it , it is going into the paint shop to be totally resprayed and yes I got the other one back as I use to own it about 4 years ago and could not resist buying her back as I loved that car ,she is still the same , air con still works, Janspeed, tyres are still the same ones !! etc only needs the the rear arches doing , sorted the starting issue out it was a burnt wire and the alternator was fine however went for a quick blip the other day and have to do the clutch as it slips pretty bad , that 's my job for today Ho Hum

Well, we've found our MR2. Just bought Tommy's Coverco's) lovely Super red Mk1b. We saw several lovely cars: the all-original, white T-bar belonging to Tom Mundy's colleague was in amazingly good nick and John Clark's red T-bar (which he bought from BrianUK) was truly immaculate, restored to original showroom condition. We were hugely tempted by both, but would have wanted to do all the upgrades and mods which Tommy had already done to his, so decided there was no point in paying a premium for original condition - not that either car was over-priced, just we realised we didn't want alsolute originality. We also thought we would feel guilty getting stone chips on a car as pristine as John's and we do want to drive it!

Any way, Tommy's 'ex' drives an absolute treat. What a bargain - engine purrs, K&N whistles its approval when you give it some wellie and the gearbox is nice & tight. Feels good in the corners, as well it should with re-built suspension, front strut-brace and Yokohamas to stick you down. And those seats are like close-fitting armchairs. Rich drove the first leg home & when I pulled alongside him on the M1, to see it from the side, he had the biggest grin on his face I've seen in ages . . . and that was even without his beloved pop-up headlights on!

So thank you, Tommy, we promise we'll look after her and see you at Silverstone, if not before.

MR2 Obsessive
    Nice avatar

hi guy's, awesome car you bought of Tommy,one of the best ive seen! hope Tommy gets another, will be hard to find one like that! Mike