Thread: Just got my first MR2

MR2 Newbie

Just got my first MR2

Hi Folks
    Recently joined the club, bought my first MK1 today,it appeared on my local garage forecourt yesterday, its a mark 1a,i really wanted a b to restore, but have looked at loads of overpriced rubbish.
    This is a C reg,3 owners, the last an older lady for 13 years, it has done 2000 miles between mot`s, loads of service history..all since day 1 serviced every 6 months without fail, just had full exhaust new cambelt, no wear on interior ,not a mark on it, so think the lady wrapped it in cotton wool...all for £595 with 12 months mot the mileage shows 190,000 which although high seems ok judging by the history.

Bit of advice, as with all it starts at 2000 rpm for about a min then drops to about 1200, I think this is high, does it need the throttle screw adjusting, ive heard about a part that has waxing on it that may need replacing

One final question the car runs spot on however would I benefit from having the injectors cleaned, if so can anyone recommend anywhere in Bucks

thanks
    AndyT

Welcome. Sounds like a bargain. Any pics?

Hi Andy,

Firstly, thanks for joining up! I've just sent you through your welcome E-mail and membership number.

It sounds like you've got a good solid Mk1 as your first one. The mileage does seem high, but I think all Mk1's should be judged on their condition at this age, rather than on raw numbers like mileage. £595 is a bargain too with a full ticket!

You're right in thinking that the high idle is being caused by the waxstat. You can replace it if you want, but it really isn't worth it as there are a couple of other methods out there that are cheaper and more effective. The first thing to try is the tyre valve cap mod; see below links:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/old/repairsp15.html

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/showthread...4964-High-Idle

This should reduce the cold idle by anywhere between 500-1000 revs depending on your particular engine. This'll be fine for cars that don't do many miles per year or if you don't have lots of traffic lights (that you may potentially get stuck at) near your house.

Alternatively, you can look up the full manual choke conversion put together by Paul Woods. This incorporates the same logic as the tyre valve cap, but gives you an in-cabin switch that disables the choke altogether once the engine is warm, which is usually within a couple of minutes.

The injectors are usually rock solid in terms of reliability, but it's always worth having them overhauled to check the rubber seals if nothing else, as these can become brittle with age.

Anyway, welcome to the club! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your new purchase.

Cheers,
    Tom

MR2 Newbie
    picking it up in the morning..pics to follow...many thanks for the info
    Andy

Welcome along. You're not far from me (I work in Marlow), my mechanical knowledge is fairly limited but give me a shout if you need anything or fancy a local meet

Welcome along.

Pacific Works isn't a million miles from you, based in Flamstead, Herts.

Garage forecourt would be the garage next to the train station I assume? Good find.

If it's C Reg it will most likely be a cross over so mk1a/b mix unless it was late registered.

I used to spend a lot of time in Gt Missenden and still have friends in the area (Prestwood, Wycombe, the Chalfonts), lovely area and some great driving roads, lucky you!

I wouldn't bother with the injectors personally, if it aint broke, dont fix it,.

Any pics of this car yet Andy. Would love to see it,