Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Super Red MK1b

MR2 Obsessive
    What is an SMT Dave ?

Jimmy, Chrys ? Is that because I called you Alan

Lol. Yes indeed Fred....sorry about that. It was getting late

MR2 Obsessive
    With my name being Tommy a few times over the years I have been called Paddy by people who don't know me as they remember the "y" bit but forget the first bit. Being Irish this is hilarious as when they realise what they have done they always get worried that it will cause offense, it doesn't but it does cause amusement

Of the 3 cars you've listed I think the Lotus sounds most interesting. The other 2 are cars you wouldn't give a second glance to in the street. Although the mk3 has grown on me recently. Have you seen the silver one around Penistone with wide wheels? Makes it look less of a girls car. Will your new car be doing as many miles as your mr2? If so I think the Audi would be a mistake as I think you need something that's a contrast to the modern cars and vans you see every day.
    It's obviously your money and your choice, but if I were you I'd carry on looking for a mk1 mr2 that is different to what you've had. Something with more power and more aggressive looks. I think you are right to sell your current one as you've been talking about it for a while and it feels like a finished project and you are probably ready for the next thing.
    Good luck with the sale. I'll be intrigued to see whatever is next in your garage.

p.s. the photography on that 2nd pic is amazing - clearly taken by an expert!

MR2 Obsessive
    I have not seen the Silver one around Penistone Anthony, I only go down to Tesco once a week

If I get another car it will do the same or maybe less mileage as I won't be going to as many shows, the Audi and MK3 are probably not ideal as I like to tinker and they would need less doing but I just like them. The Lotus would obviously meet the tinkering criteria as going on reputation they tend to need a fair bit of attention

I think MK1's are off the agenda mate, never look back and all that!! Oh and thanks for the photo

** Banned User **
    SMT is sequential Manual Transmission. It doesn't have a clutch pedal but it has a manual gearbox and the clutch is controlled by hydraulics and a ecu. Gear change is done with either the gear lever pushing it forwards for down shift and backwards for up. Or you can just change gear by using the buttons on the steering wheel. However you cannot drive it as a auto as it wont think for you and change gear automatically. The system was designed by Ferrari and Toyota adopted it as well.

MR2 Obsessive
    I meant what type of car, Silver SMT doesn't really help mate, I assume as you say Toyota adopted it it is a MK3

** Banned User **
    Sorry its a mk3 but not blinged up like my red oneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130712-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	1204

Just been having a look at what you can get for around £3K. A TVR is a bit out of reach, which is a shame as that's the ideal low mileage car for someone who likes to tinker! Have you looked at going back to a kit car, or a Westfield type thing?

MR2 Obsessive
    That is one of the reasons I am thinking of changing Anthony, it is amazing what you can get for under £5000 !!

I am too old to do another kit car I did a couple in my 20's, the Lotus 7 thing is a nice idea but I have had one and it is possibly the most impractical car I have ever had, not to mention the most uncomfortable. The handling was amazing but you would not want to go on a long journey in one, by long I mean 10 miles or more