Thread: new mk1b

MR2 Lurker

new mk1b

hello forum, im new to the mr2 world as a couple of days ago i bought a mk1b t-bar. theres some very slight rust on it, fresh paint as of 3-4years ago i want to say its a slightly darker blue than the original sky blue. it has black interior with leather seats which need to go due to lack of care from previous owner. and im wanting to start slowly restoring this. does anyone know where i could get all the rust taken care at? im not wanting to do it myself cause i am no good at body work. the rust isnt too bad but i want to take care of it now before it gets worse, i am going to take pictures of all the rust spots tomorrow. i need interior screws because it is missing alot on the center console and im wondering if i should just go to a junk yard or if someone knows where i can order them. also i am looking to get a new air intake im thinking of just throwing a cone on it but not sure how effective that would be, does anyone have any ideas. also when is the fan supposed to turn on cause an regular engine temp its not turning on im wondering if its just not working.

MR2 Newbie
    Welcome, im another felow newbie on here, just bought a very rusty mk1b so im looking for another.

your screw situation should be easy to fix, any junk yard with a toyota should be able to get what you need as toyota are quite good at keeping things generic

Hi & welcome! You'll find all the info you could ever need about mk1's here, best thing to do is work your way through all the threads over the coming weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by gabesmk1 View Post
    does anyone know where i could get all the rust taken care at?
    If its just light & preventative work then best thing to do is go and see a few local bodyshops & have a chat with them. I dont know of any in Suffolk but Im sure an SE member will be along shortly with recommendations.

i need interior screws because it is missing alot on the center console and im wondering if i should just go to a junk yard or if someone knows where i can order them.
    Yeah as already suggested a scrappy, meeting a helpful local member or even calling your local Toyota parts desk are all sensible options

also i am looking to get a new air intake im thinking of just throwing a cone on it but not sure how effective that would be, does anyone have any ideas.
    cones are not effective at all, they just make more noise, which is great if thats your thing... check out aw11mikes car for an effective induction mod.

also when is the fan supposed to turn on cause an regular engine temp its not turning on im wondering if its just not working.
    this is normal, the cooling fans very rarely come on unless the engine is very hot, youll sometimes hear of people who have removed their fans completely (wouldnt do that myself!)
    Last edited by Master-B; 3rd October 2013 at 06:28 PM.