Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White/silver two tone Supercharger

White/silver two tone Supercharger

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2...item3383f113ea

It's very close to me so I'm going to go give it a look.

Is there anything specifically to look out for with a Supercharger?

Quote Originally Posted by forkmantorch View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2...item3383f113ea

It's very close to me so I'm going to go give it a look.

Is there anything specifically to look out for with a Supercharger?
    Yes, I saw this car. Looks quite interesting. Like you not far from me but I already have an SC.

Well apart from the usual issues with rust SC's have their own issues...

- worn synchro...crunch when changing gears fast
    - alternator failures
    - SC oil need to be be topped up and obviously no bad noises when it kicks in (does make bit of change in noise, more tonal change). Blower is a part not easy to replace/rebuild.
    - note it has a/c removed...that's one less possible issue!
    - rear drive shafts difficult to replace
    - lsd chatter possible if wrong oil in box. When cold rear wheels will lock making juddery turns until warmed up.

On that car it's nice to see it's a tin top manual, lsd with lowish mileage (though you're not sure if was set correctly when had mph speedo put in). The respray has left off mudflaps, got mysteriously an eagle on front bumper and "supercharger" decals that aren't quite right in size and font though more or less correctly positioned. Shouldn't the stripes be light colour to contrast with the silver/grey? On gauge readings from memory hot oil pressure at idle is between quarter and half...and water temp hot, just below midway. They warm up quickly, probably getting to normal temp in less than a mile in this weather and don't sit at 2,000 rpm at cold idle when warming up like the NA...more like 1200-1400 rpm.

Most importantly they are a hoot to drive and that one has big pulley...presumably with ABV mod. Sounds like it's had some kind of overheating issues from parts replaced so that could be of concern and be a question?

Hope that helps a bit. Imagine other suggestions will follow, Andy
    Last edited by andyj; 22nd July 2013 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andyj View Post
    Yes, I saw this car. Looks quite interesting. Like you not far from me but I already have an SC.

Well apart from the usual issues with rust SC's have their own issues...

- worn synchro...crunch when changing gears fast
    - alternator failures
    - SC oil need to be be topped up and obviously no bad noises when it kicks in (does make bit of change in noise, more tonal change). Blower is a part not easy to replace/rebuild.
    - note it has a/c removed...that's one less possible issue!
    - rear drive shafts difficult to replace
    - lsd chatter possible if wrong oil in box. When cold rear wheels will lock making juddery turns until warmed up.

On that car it's nice to see it's a tin top manual, lsd with lowish mileage (though you're not sure if was set correctly when had mph speedo put in). The respray has left off mudflaps, got mysteriously an eagle on front bumper and "supercharger" decals that aren't quite right in size and font though more or less correctly positioned. Shouldn't the stripes be light colour to contrast with the silver/grey? On gauge readings from memory hot oil pressure at idle is between quarter and half...and water temp hot, just below midway. They warm up quickly, probably getting to normal temp in less than a mile in this weather and don't sit at 2,000 rpm at cold idle when warming up like the NA...more like 1200-1400 rpm.

Most importantly they are a hoot to drive and that one has big pulley...presumably with ABV mod. Sounds like it's had some kind of overheating issues from parts replaced so that could be of concern and be a question?

Hope that helps a bit. Imagine other suggestions will follow, Andy

Thanks, that gives me quite a lot of insight and things to question.

I've contacted the seller and he gave me the number of his mechanic to contact and organise a test drive ( apparently the car is with him). So I'll see if I can view it this week.

Smile

Thanks, that gives me quite a lot of insight and things to question.

I've contacted the seller and he gave me the number of his mechanic to contact and organise a test drive ( apparently the car is with him). So I'll see if I can view it this week.
    Real pleasure. Hope it works out. Rust issue is probably main issue I think on value of the car.

My old car, purchased by present owner from me 3 years ago.

The mileage is genuine, verified with old MOT's dating back to import(supplied to present owner).

I was also responsible for spending a lot of time/money on the car, after it had sat on Richard Morgan's drive for 2 years without moving!

To quote Lauren 'one of the best handling Mk 1's she had driven'.

Just to promote a small debate, the 'issue' with supercharger decals, might want to be taken up with the person in Japan that fitted them. In my opinion of course!

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    My old car, purchased by present owner from me 3 years ago.

The mileage is genuine, verified with old MOT's dating back to import(supplied to present owner).

I was also responsible for spending a lot of time/money on the car, after it had sat on Richard Morgan's drive for 2 years without moving!

To quote Lauren 'one of the best handling Mk 1's she had driven'.

Just to promote a small debate, the 'issue' with supercharger decals, might want to be taken up with the person in Japan that fitted them. In my opinion of course!
    Very good to hear about background and mileage. Looking again maybe those decals are original - at a glance I thought they looked a bit tall on the letters. They are in right position though. If there's no hidden rust issues this looks a good car for the money.

Hi Andy

When it left me, it was a very straight/honest car - no hidden nasties. Then again, a 25 year old Toyota with no rust!

I am not sure I would pay the £4.6k asking price now though. A question of supply and demand, but it only needs to take one persons fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Hi Andy

When it left me, it was a very straight/honest car - no hidden nasties. Then again, a 25 year old Toyota with no rust!

I am not sure I would pay the £4.6k asking price now though. A question of supply and demand, but it only needs to take one persons fancy.
    Hi Zig,

Sounds better and better this car. It's very sought after spec isn't it - manual, tin top, lsd, the colour scheme. It also looks very nice condition. Items fixed like calipers, radiator, alternator are new items very much worth having. I hope it's good and likewise goes for a good price. As an SC owner I like to see prices holding up .

Andy
    Last edited by andyj; 23rd July 2013 at 12:26 PM.

Just got back from seeing it.

Car looks nice and pretty solid.

The windscreen has been replaced, fairly recently I think, the mechanic said there had been some rust and leaking prior to that, and I did notice there was some mildew behind the drivers visor when flipped down. Not sure how much of a concern that should be, though the mechanic said they had dealt with the rust before fitting the new screen. The outside trim along the top wasn't the standard trim and wasn't quite flush on the passengers side.

Apparently the owner put a screwdriver through the radiator when trying to remove the old fan to give it a clean, so they fitted a new radiator and the Kenlowe fan as a replacement.

Armed with my limited mechanical knowledge and Andyj's check list, everything seemed normal while the car was cold and after the ~2 mile test drive. I wasn't able to drive it my self as the car is SORN so my policy wouldn't cover it (think that's why the car is with the mechanic for viewings).

I'm sorely tempted, though probably not at the buy it now price advertised, might see where the bidding goes and make him an offer.

Just got back from seeing it.

Car looks nice and pretty solid.

The windscreen has been replaced, fairly recently I think, the mechanic said there had been some rust and leaking prior to that, and I did notice there was some mildew behind the drivers visor when flipped down. Not sure how much of a concern that should be, though the mechanic said they had dealt with the rust before fitting the new screen. The outside trim along the top wasn't the standard trim and wasn't quite flush on the passengers side.

Apparently the owner put a screwdriver through the radiator when trying to remove the old fan to give it a clean, so they fitted a new radiator and the Kenlowe fan as a replacement.

Armed with my limited mechanical knowledge and Andyj's check list, everything seemed normal while the car was cold and after the ~2 mile test drive. I wasn't able to drive it my self as the car is SORN so my policy wouldn't cover it (think that's why the car is with the mechanic for viewings).

I'm sorely tempted, though probably not at the buy it now price advertised, might see where the bidding goes and make him an offer.
    Brilliant report. Yes, the answer seems to be where the bidding goes. Thanks for taking the trouble to write this up. Sounds a useless car so no one need bid