Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: i always wanted one :)

MR2 Fan

i always wanted one :)

sorry for not posting in here first before responding elsewhere.

i'm donna and i'm a long time admirer of the MKI to the point where i still have the original magazine poster of the MKI on my wall - i got that picture in 1984 and my dad framed it for me and every house i've ever lived in has had a wall graced with that framed poster

i was about 7 or 8 when i first saw one and said "one day i'm gunna have one of them" well roll on nearly 30 years and i've just put a deposit down on a 1986 MKI which is absolutely stunning from top to bottom with only 81 and a half thousand miles on it right royal result and she passed her mot with NO advisories (i couldn't believe it)

i've had a MKII TURBO GT TBAR and MKII GT TBAR n/a and 2 scooby impreza turbo wagons and yet when i test drove this MKI it was like why didn't i do this sooner - i've not stopped smiling yet and the grip is F1 standard i thought i'd pushed it going into a corner and it just held and both me and the dealer were sat there totally stunned, i can't wait till i go and pick her up cos coming home is gunna be a 25 mile blast/laugh a minute down the country lanes between wigan and warrington gunna be so much fun. who needs big cars with license losing speeds when you can have mega amounts of fun in a small car at the speed limit

am gunna do some minor mods :- blitz induction kit, iridium plugs, magnecor leads, cobra exhaust, maybe give her a paintjob (she's got a white top half and a grey bottom half) and some new rims and boots (she's got the originals on) and am gunna change the drivers seat for my favourite omp bucket and maybe put my 6 point harness in there too - but not sure part of my dilemna is that i got a dog and the seats are immaculate black cloth with a white stripe running down the middle --- white stripes and dogs just do not mix lol

if you're looking for new parts like drop links and stuff try www.fensport.co.uk

looking forward to seeing the other MKI's didn't know that there were MK1a/MK1b as well as turbo and supercharged versions - just adding more fun to the mix

Hi Donna, congrats on the car! My first was a white over silver also and I loved it.
    Shame you're so far away from me as I would have offered to swap my black seats with your two tone versions
    Any pics of your car to share?
    Michael

MR2 Fan
    If I hadn't already finally got the car that I always wanted since I was 17 (1986ish) then your description would've convinced me. Wonderful introduction.

It's interesting to hear from somebody who is already well used to cars with exceptional handling, and it supports my belief (actually more like disbelief) that the MK1 has ridiculous levels of grip. Mine has a couple of things that need sorting to make it handle as it should, but I can't believe it still has more grip available. Mine is on original teardrop wheels and fairly standard tyres and I can't imagine giving up the look of those wheels just for a lower profile tyre. It simply doesn't need it.

Aren't they fantastic machines - even at 25 years old!

** Banned User **
    Well done with the car there are some nice roads near Warrington. I would keep the car the same colour as theres not many around that colour. They started changing a few bits on the mk1 in 86 like side skirts and different front spoiler and bumper. The mk1a interior is much nicer than the later ones any help you need theres loads of us in the North West. I go up to warrington now and again to see someone who breaks mk3's so any bits or advise shout up

MR2 Fan
    thankyou all for the warm welcome

seats might end up my living room yet lol

dog needs his space and am scared of getting them dirty lol

pete you just need to take your car down the twisty bitz and i can guarantee you'll get scared long before your car thinks about letting go

cabbydave i'll definitely keep you in mind

michael i'll take me cam with me tomorrow when i go to see her so if i can get windows 7 to play ball then you'll see the pics tomorrow

MR2 Fan
    here goes

i've just come back from the dealer in question and after having a better look at her here's what the dealers done --- after he found out she was one of the last MKIa's registered he changed the induction kit for a proper airbox, gave her a new clutch sorted out the heater matrix, swapped the radiator, changed the wheels for original ones cos it had some awful ones on it

she does need a coat of paint but am gunna keep the colours though cos it suits her.
    other thing i never knew was that the sunroof --- yup she's not a tbar sorry about that --- is detachable so basically it's a slightly different version of a tbar

here's the web addy for the pics cos i forgot my digicam :-
    http://www.wigansportsandprestige.co...ashire-2730226

hi Donna,you have a great looking car there you cant beat two tone! mike.

MR2 Fan
    hi mike

thankyou

Hiya, welcome to the forum, I'm pretty certain I recognise that car as one Gary (mk1dal) won a show trophy or two with a few years back, so you have picked up a goodun

MR2 Fan
    thankyou kgb603

when i saw her first time i said she looked like a show car so thanks for the intel i saw from the mot's that she's only done about 4000 miles in three years so she must have been dry stored and just brought out to show off a bit lol

can you tell me anymore about her history ????? cos am very interested to know where she's been and what she's done and stuff