Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Very rare Toyota Haslbeck bodykit coming soon.

MR2 Obsessive
    I am not sure if copyright is the issue Bill. Reproducing cars has caused many disputes over the years, look at the problems Westfield had a few years ago and don't take your Ferrari replica to Italy as they will impound it and arrest you. I think the kit should be saved and hope Paul does it but you do need to be wary of copying a car manufacturers product.

Quote Originally Posted by bill hulme View Post
    I think that the copyright only lasts 25 years but I could be wrong. I'm in love, xxx .
    Bill.
    You may know more than I but BMW shut down a company in the UK that made tea cossies & mug which resembled the original Mini as it infringed their copyright & Mini's have been around for more than 25 years.

Alan...

Club Technical Advisor
    Thing is, even if I cosmetically altered each panel and put my own stamp on it I wouldn't feel right about that, that would negate any copyright issue but it would lose some of its heritage, in effect i'd be producing a Woodsport kit inspired by the Haslbeck design, and I don't really want to do that and I wouldn't feel right calling it my kit even if I made major changes to it. Tommy the kit was designed by Haslbeck for Toyota who commissioned it for their special edition "Mr2 high tech" option in Germany, later to be offered by Silver Knight in the UK.

I still think it's incredibly cool Toyota did this, they normally go TRD with everything.

MR2 Obsessive
    So in theory Toyota still own the rights to the kit. It is your choice Paul but I would personally not want to spend a lot of money/ man hours ( as self employed people they are the same thing) and then find out Toyota objected to the project. Perhaps a few emails to Toyota would be prudent?

Club Technical Advisor
    I don't really know who owns the rights, if any, bodykits are such a grey area as far as patent goes, I really don't think it's an issue, we could for example say the guy that makes the MK1 rear wheel arch or sill panels is even more in breach..... I don't think anyone really cares with vehicles this old, the kit has long been obsolete by over two decades.

MR2 Obsessive
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsport View Post
    I don't really know who owns the rights
    I would personally do some research as to who does own the rights before moving the project forward, but good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by jimi; 13th May 2013 at 06:00 AM.
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Club Technical Advisor
    Thanks Jimi, also sincere thanks to Mike for scanning this excellent article in and sending it to me, a review from 1987 with some very interesting facts, makes superb reading.

Have you seen the seats in it!!

And look at the door cards! Would like them for my MK1a Was this kit only available for the A's?

MR2 Fan
    if it was indeed a toyota factory option then it should be possible - but it'll prolly cost you heck of a lot more than getting one from Woodsport

love that front end

i 'd be wanting the full kit if price is reasonable and am looking at getting a bodykit towards the end of this year if you've done moulding it and playing with your gelcoat then i'll definitely have one please sir