Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Addition to the Stables - Mk1 Track Slag!

Maybe it's cos i'm at work. They normally show up.

Pics seem fine for me
    I cut the plug off an old fan I had and fitted it to the new one, so it's plug and play. The original fans can be refitted any time. High wise. it's no higher than the inlet/outlet spigots on the radiator. I can remove / refit the radiator from the above with ease
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2 Fan
    for me your track car looks a mess - sorry but for my taste it should be all there on the outside if not on the inside and that front end looks as though it's been through a wall.............

there's a lot to be said for decent aerodynamics and that sure a heck hasn't got em..............

sorry but i find your "track slag" extremely distasteful............. just my opinion...............

Are you saying a track car should be totally standard on the outside and have no interior removed? If you are, I'm not sure you get the idea of a track car!

The front end is rather blunt, but should look better once I've put some mesh over the radiator. However, it's not designed to be pretty!

The only negative aerodynamic difference to a standard car is the flatter bumper, but that's not going to make a great bit of difference. In my humble opinion of course.

I'm kind of glad you don't like it; a car like this should divide opinions.

Cheers,
    Tom

MR2 Obsessive
    My fans have never come on (they do work). I think you would need to drive across the sahara to get the front fans to come on, my engine compartment fan has been on once before. Having just replaced my radiator I can say the twin fans are bloody heavy

MR2 Fan
    no am not tom

what am saying is that the body kit should have been left alone or altered for one with better aero characteristics - the interior should be as it is - totally stripped out and a cage put in with limited dash requirements etc......

chopping the aero parts off the car creates more drag due to increased friction - the front should have got summat like an F1 or T type bumper and the back end that should have been left as it was as the bottom of the bumper should line up with the undertrays creating a nice airflow aft under the car.

if you're gunna do anything with it as it is then take it stock car racing....... can't hurt it any more than it has been..........

MR2 Obsessive
    Quote Originally Posted by snoball View Post
    chopping the aero parts off the car creates more drag due to increased friction - the front should have got summat like an F1 or T type bumper and the back end that should have been left as it was as the bottom of the bumper should line up with the undertrays creating a nice airflow aft under the car.
    This actually made me spill my drink, trust me the bumpers on a MK1 can not be described as aero parts

The set up on Toms car actually allows the air to move more quickly past the front end as the bonnet scoop allows the air to flow up and over the car, this should in effect create more downforce because the split air will speed up to pass over the top of the car as that is a further distance than the under route. The rear bumper is definately not an aero part either, by the time any air gets to it the car is gone. My only problem with this car is the seats are the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in

Even with all your natural padding aswell Tommy?!

MR2 Obsessive
    Trust me Kris the seats are shocking, I know Tom is bringing this car tomorrow and even he wants to change the seats before he sets off

MR2 Fan
    if the rear of tom's mk1 isn't an aero part then why do the likes of ferrari, chrysler, bmw etc...... spend millions developing the aero parts for the rears of their cars ????? things like difusers sculpted bumpers etc.... oh maybe it's to try and smooth the airflow as it exits the car !!!!!

as for the front end - if it is as you say more efficient to have the bonnet like this why is it then that no company either track, rally or road is using one ????? cos you're saying that it's better for the cars cooling that it should have this !!!!! all the above firms use flat bonnets to increase the airflow over the wind tunnel tested bodywork, they use wide mouth front bumpers cos it forces the air into the rad and or intercooler at a higher speed therefore allowing the engine to run cooler and therefore more efficiently.

car firms spend millions developing the aero packages on their cars and yet i've never in any form of racing seen a bonnet like this with exception of the lotus elise.

so for you to make a sweeping statement like that is just plain wrong - where's your evidence ????? i can pull so many examples by looking on youtube it's unreal --- even the front mounted intercooler versions of the impreza use a flat bonnet !!!!!