Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First MK1

MR2 Newbie

First MK1

Hi all, thought I'd pop up and say hello. Bought a cheap mk1a for a project and looking to restore to original condition. Mainly joined up for advice, parts and to get to know everyone and posibly attent meets once she is up and running

I'm from Manchester and noticed a few people breaking MK1's not far from me, just need the how to even from basics!

Never done anything really mechanical before aside from changing wheels and headlights in my Golf but I know this will be far more of a challenge! It is currently SORN and will be staying so until roadworthy! (Nowhere near at the moment).

Have a friend who works at Eurocar Parts and got me rear ball joints, disks and pads all round and front track rod ends for £100. Haven't bought them yet as would like to know if it's a good price etc.

So anyway, hello everyone!

Hi and Welcome!

Very knowledgable people on this site always happy to lend a hand!

I had a mk1a once and hated it! What colour combination is yours?

For 4 discs and pads all round including the track rod ends and ball joints, that is incredibly cheap, but I imagine the quality of parts is not very good though. Discs are discs however, but buy decent pads, EBC and Mintex do good pads, but are around £40-50 a set.

If you haven't done much mechanicals before and you are considering doing your brakes on your own, get a mechanic to check it over after because the consequences of mis fitted brakes can be unthinkable - i'm rebuilding my engine etc but will not touch the brakes even now as i'm not confident with them.

One more bit of advice, which some people still don't seem to follow - do not get under your car when its up on the jack - only get under when its secure on axle stands.

Have fun and post up some pictures!

** Banned User **
    Eurocar parts parts are usually good if your mate is using his discount its a good price.I used to know someone there and got bits a half price at least, just make sure the rear ball joints are mk1a as they are different to mk1b

MR2 Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by superwhite90 View Post
    Hi and Welcome!

Very knowledgable people on this site always happy to lend a hand!

I had a mk1a once and hated it! What colour combination is yours?

For 4 discs and pads all round including the track rod ends and ball joints, that is incredibly cheap, but I imagine the quality of parts is not very good though. Discs are discs however, but buy decent pads, EBC and Mintex do good pads, but are around £40-50 a set.

If you haven't done much mechanicals before and you are considering doing your brakes on your own, get a mechanic to check it over after because the consequences of mis fitted brakes can be unthinkable - i'm rebuilding my engine etc but will not touch the brakes even now as i'm not confident with them.

One more bit of advice, which some people still don't seem to follow - do not get under your car when its up on the jack - only get under when its secure on axle stands.

Have fun and post up some pictures!
    The combination was White on Gunmetal but it seems when the arches where fixed he decided to go over the Gunmetal in his own version of aerosol White.. Got all the before and after pictures on a disk with all the history etc.

Yeah I will definitely be getting it all checked out before I get in the drivers seat, cheers for the heads up
    Like I said it's more of a project for me so would seem pointless paying out on one of my mates to do it.

I checked the website and they currently have 25% off with the code on site so it's cheap at the moment anyway, all the parts including cheap pads where about 120 and down to 85 with the discount.

Cheers guys.

Yes, good price.

MR2 Newbie
    Went to her today to have a look and took my tools.

Attempted the drivers side rear brakes, without the brakes.. Just wanted the calipers off, get them unseized and give them a lick of paint.

As you can guess, took me about 2 hours to get 4 bolts off and couldn't get 2 of the ones I needed off due to them being so stiff and possibly rounded off!!

Gunna be a good project!
    Last edited by Winniee; 20th March 2013 at 08:16 PM.

Hi Winniee. Good man on the new mk1 front. Look forward to pictures and some plans to lob a bigger lump in the old girl! No pressure!
    Last edited by chief44; 21st March 2013 at 11:15 AM.

MR2 Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by chief44 View Post
    Hi Winniee. Good man on the new mk1 front. Look forward to pictures and some plans to lob a bigger lump in the old girl! No pressure!
    Haha I'm quite happy keeping it standard. Just a few bits I want to change. It's nothing to look at really but it was cheap and will be good for me to expand my personal knowledge on cars!

Will get some pictures up soon.

MR2 Newbie

Picking up some teardrop alloys this weekend hopefully from a member on here
    Attempted the rear brakes myself but everythings rusty and didn't have axel stands. Will put the steel wheels under it when I go up next hopefully to get some leverage on the bolts!

** Banned User **
    Its got mk1b seats and mk1b steering wheel also looks like a mk1b front bar. It looks to me mk1a's don;t rust as much as mk1b's nice car you will have there when you've finished