Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hi Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
    Hi alpha13, so it's an early supercharged model, sweet, have to say I have never seen a yellow one, it looks the ticket, a few wee personal touches here and there is what adds personality to the car making it unique to the owner!. It looks a lovely example, is this your first MR2 or have you had ones before?.

Yep Kates MR2 looks stunning!, I really like that colour!.

I've had my white one 6 years and the blue one I got this year, the white one needs a serious amount of work, it's being more a less rebuilt from the ground up. Hence the amount of time spent on it and when I can afford parts, but I know the white one can be brought back to her former glory. I just live and breathe these cars, I may not be an expert on them, you guys would know way more than me, but I have a passion for these cars and I enjoy learning new things about them that I didn't know previously. I have skimmed through some posts on the forums which have provided some new insights into the cars themselves I didn't know and getting to read some of the members journeys in restoring their cars has also been a joy to read!.
    yes rinzler it is an early one.. first one built was in august 86 and mine was built in september *big grin* and on top of that yes it is my first one too wanted one since i was 8 and took a long time to get one and boy did i hit the jackpot LOL
    my pride and joy... only bad thing is the paint is somewhat faded and needs a respray which i havent been able to get done as of yet
    i can agree, kates car is a stunner and lovely colour too there is plenty of people on here who know lots more than loads of us..and are more than happy to share that knowledge with anyone interested in learning it rinzler..the passion and interest is the most important thing.. after that the rest will follow... ther has been plenty of times when i thought i knew stuff only to find out i was in fact wrong.. but that is fine with me..the more i am proved wrong the more new stuff i am actually learning about them LOL
    fair play to you on the dedication with the white one... it will be a source of pride and satisfaction for you when it is out and about

Rinzler
    Hiya Kate, that's great you keep your car well protected, a battery conditioner?, never thought of that one!, must get one of them!.

I do have some pics of the white one with some of the work done on it, I have carried out some body repair on it along with my brother, will have a look for them!.

Hi Gilles27!, so it looks like mine could well be a helios blue?. It is a lovely colour!. Well my friend like anything it takes time to get the cars to where we want them to be. My 89 (blue one) is totally original, same paint the day it left the factory, when I get my pics up you will see areas of faded paint, but she is getting a full respray in the new year sometime. For an original car she is in superb shape, original shocks and springs etc, original clutch, that was the only thing wrong with it, the clutch was starting to go but I got a new one for it.

Like anything worth while doing, it takes time!. You can't rush perfection!.

Hey Alpha13!. Dude that's seriously a nice piece of machinery, an early one too!. I don't know much about the super charger models but from what I have read they are supposed to be pretty amazing. Paint looks pretty clean to me. Man nothing like owning your dream machine!.

I first clocked eyes on the MR2 when I was in high school I was 13 at the time, my life changed forever!. I knew one day I would have one. I bought my white one few years ago, roughly an 80% solid original car but in need of a full restoration, soon as I saw it, I had to have it!, yes it needs the full works to bring it back to her former glory, but I know in my heart that car can be great once more!.

I bought my blue one this year, I was originally looking at an 06 Celica and my brother found the blue 89 MR2 just by chance, I got the same goose bumps as the day I picked up the white one so I knew there and then the blue one was for me!.

Oh meant to ask Kate is that colour the original colour on yours?. I have seen loads of white ones, red and black ones, but never one in that colour.

Totally Alpha13 every day you can learn something new, or something you thought was the case turned out to be a car myth etc, but as you say always look at as a positive, everything you learn will come in handy, I know a little bit about them, worked on my white one abit, but there is way more people out there and here at the club that would run rings round me with knowledge and skills, so it will be nice to learn new things about the cars, I particularly love reading the cars journeys into being restored, every car has their story!.

Talking

Yes, mine is an original colour. It is called Medium Red Pearl but we all call it Mica Red. I have seen one other car in the same colour in the UK but am aware that there has been two others, no idea if they are still on the road. There is a beautiful one in New Zealand as well, also a Supercharger. It is rare but beautiful and my favourite colour for them.

Photo of the two together (mine is in front):

You mentioned the differences (mine is also an SC but my previous two MR2s were N/A). The SC has a few more horses on tap, BHP rises from 127 to 145 and there is a slight increase in top end speed and it drops approximately a second off the 0-60 down to about 6.5 from 7.7 (depends on your source, others here will have more official figures). The difference though is actually in the driving. The SC is heavier and more powerful and it shows when you drive it. This does not make it better, the N/A is possibly more like a go kart and it's lightness is an asset. I like them equally to drive but for different reasons. I have an SC because this one came up in this colour and also I do like it's rarity (which does add value) but, I have said this before, a well set up N/A is arguably a better car than a badly set up, rusty SC.

I do like the sound of my engine in a tunnel as well
    Last edited by Kateg28; 20th December 2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: to add photo

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kateg28 View Post
    Yes, mine is an original colour. It is called Medium Red Pearl but we all call it Mica Red. I have seen one other car in the same colour in the UK but am aware that there has been two others, no idea if they are still on the road. There is a beautiful one in New Zealand as well, also a Supercharger. It is rare but beautiful and my favourite colour for them.

Photo of the two together (mine is in front):

You mentioned the differences (mine is also an SC but my previous two MR2s were N/A). The SC has a few more horses on tap, BHP rises from 127 to 145 and there is a slight increase in top end speed and it drops approximately a second off the 0-60 down to about 6.5 from 7.7 (depends on your source, others here will have more official figures). The difference though is actually in the driving. The SC is heavier and more powerful and it shows when you drive it. This does not make it better, the N/A is possibly more like a go kart and it's lightness is an asset. I like them equally to drive but for different reasons. I have an SC because this one came up in this colour and also I do like it's rarity (which does add value) but, I have said this before, a well set up N/A is arguably a better car than a badly set up, rusty SC.

I do like the sound of my engine in a tunnel as well
    ok first off kate... i see you used the official club photo..with richard in the back row with the obligatory engine bay lid up LOL and is that mikes car to the right?????
    i cant agree with you on the NA being better than the SC but then i have never had the joy to drive a WELL SETUP NA and i am biased too

Rinzler
    Hi everyone,

sorry haven't been on much lately, been busy with work!. Hope you all had a nice Christmas!. Finally got a couple of pics uploaded to the Garage of my baby!. Hope you guys like it!.