Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Woodsport 6 speed gearbox conversion

Had the PW 6 speed box in for 9 months now- It's brilliant!
    It saves fuel and much is quieter on a long run, makes it a different car!
    My old box was sound incl 5th gear, but the new one changes better too despite that. Car would actually pull a higher 6th gear still, but can't have everything.
    Brings car into 21st century.
    robin
    PS, Anyone want a good MK1b 5 speed box and shafts 99,00 miles?

Club Technical Advisor
    Great to hear you are enjoying it Robin, they really do transform the Mk1, the C60 is such a nice unit.

Club Technical Advisor
    I have a fully built spare 6 speed conversion in stock if anyone wants one of my marvellous gearboxes

Is it possible to fit the 6 speed gearbox with a supported shaft so that equal length drive shafts can be used?

Club Technical Advisor
    It is possible yes, because Mk3 Mr2 shafts fit the gearbox and also fit the hubs, the only issue is the supported bearing bracket, which on the 1zz has somewhere to bolt to, on a 4a-ge it does not directly bolt up to anywhere with the 1zz bracket, but i have made adaptors in the past to hold the Mk3 supported shaft onto the 4a-ge block, now i don't have jigs for that part, it was so rare that anyone asked me to do that that i just did it in situ on the day.

Unless there is a Corolla or something which uses a C series gearbox and a 4a engine with a supported shaft setup (from memory i think there is but will need to research it), then that would provide a plug and play supported shaft setup.

I will look into it and get back to you, but yes it is possible to do it anyway with a little but of bracketry and Mk3 shafts.