Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodsport 6 speed gearbox conversion

I think that's a fair price, if/when my gearbox needs replacing on my Mk1 i'll certainly be knocking on your door at that price.

Club Technical Advisor
    Thanks, it's good to know the pricing is reasonable for what i'm actually offering.

This conversion seems a lot more popular in the US, i've built quite a few now for the US market but hardly any in the UK.

Club Technical Advisor
    I thought i'd do a mini build thread showing what is involved. I haven't included the work stripping the 6 speed box or the Mk1 box down to their component parts, this is just the new 6 speed Mk1 gearbox build up.

So we start with our Mk1b bellhousing, this has to be a Mk1b item, a Mk1a housing is not compatable with this conversion, you can identify a Mk1b gearbox because it has two starter motor locations on it, a Mk1a only has one. So this has been steam cleaned and degreased with all bearings removed.

This is all of the 6 speed internal parts from the donor C60 gearbox...

Here are all of the new bearings and seals from Toyota, nearly £400 worth, not a lot for the money but essential if this is to be done right.

This gearbox is getting the Mk3 LSD unit, so the first step is to remove the old bearings from the Mk3 LSD...

The Mk3 speedo cog is the same as a Mk1 cog, so the speedo will work as before.

Now install the new bearings onto the diff...

Now fit the 6 speed crownwheel onto the LSD, for the non LSD version you use the MK1 diff and Mk1 crownwheel which is also the same gear size but a different bolt PCD...

Now we fit the original diff washer into the case, this one is a fixed 2mm width, we adjust the preload on the diff by changing the thickness of the opposing shim in the other half of the case....

The new bearing race is then fitted...

Now we install the new output shaft bearing...

Not forgetting the retainer and bolt...

Now we fit the new input shaft bearing...

The adjustment shim is fitted to the middle case, this shim is what affects the load on the diff...

And the new race fitted over that...

This shim will need to come back out if the preload is not correct.

Now to adjust the preload we need to install both the diff and output shaft into the case...

The mid case is then dummy fitted and all bolts torqued down as it would be on the finished box, the top snap ring is also fitted...

A 14mm headed M10x1.25 bolt is screwed into the top of the output shaft so my torque meter can be used...

Rotating the meter reveals how much resistance there is on the new diff bearings, if it is too much then the case comes apart again, top shim replaced for a slightly thinner one and the case refitted again, this process is repeated until the correct diff preload is obtained. For info, 0.05 shim thickness results in 3.5 in/lbs of difference to the preload, the shims are available from Toyota in 0.05 increments.

Now that the preload is correct we can start to build the gearbox up properly starting with the input shaft and one of the selectors...

The rest of the selectors are then refitted...

Then three selector retaining bolts are fitted...

The lower selector detent ball and spring are now fitted....

Club Technical Advisor
    Fit the case magnet...

Now time for the reverse selector...

The reverse idler is now added...

The shaft on this needs to be orientated correctly to the case or the retaining bolt on the outside won't line up...

Now the case is ready for sealant...

With the middle case fitted and all bolts torqued down for the final time, the reverse idler bolt can be fitted...

Now both snap rings are fitted to input and output shafts...

Add the shaft retainer plate and bolts..

Fit the selector circlip...

Install both upper selector detent balls/springs...

Now add 5th driven gear...

The roller bearing for 5th....

Refit the 5th/6th selector fork and synchro hub along with circlip....

Fit selector fork bolt...

Fit roller bearing and synchro ring....

Refit 6th gears, top bearings and circlips....

Refit end casing...

Turn the gearbox over and install the inner bellhousing bolts, input shaft oil seal and release bearing trumpet...

The outer selector assembly then slides back in, add the Mk1 reverse light switch and that's it!

MR2 Obsessive
    That is a fantastic write up Paul, considering the amount of work involved the price seems very reasonable. Good luck with the sales. If I did more than 200 miles a year in my car I would have one. I have a six speed in my van and that is great.

Club Technical Advisor
    Thankyou Tommy.

Club Technical Advisor
    I'm doing a special one off run of three 6 speed gearboxes at a reduced price in the next month, instead of £1050 delivered per unit i am doing them for £850 delivered per unit.

These three will all get the same new bearings etc that the full price version gets, after these three the price will return to £1050.

A 6 speed Mk1 gearbox will never get this cheap, so if you want one of the three please register interest below, thanks Paul.

Club Technical Advisor
    One already taken, two left.

Club Technical Advisor
    Two gone, only one left, then it's back to full price chaps.

Club Technical Advisor
    Due to the popularity of this new lower price i am extending the special run to 6 gearboxes, 4 now gone straight away to the USA, two left.

Anyone know the reason why US owners want this and not UK people? US sales have always outsold UK by 10:1. They really go mad for this upgrade over there.