Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodsport 6 speed gearbox conversion

Club Technical Advisor

Woodsport 6 speed gearbox conversion

Hi folks, we came up with a 6 speed upgrade a long time ago for the Mk1 but i haven't really offered it as a package before but now i can supply 6 speed gearbox packages for the Mk1 that will be a plug and play install.

What i'm offering is a C60 gearbox mated to a Mk1 bellhousing and comes with an optional LSD at extra cost if required, the gearbox i deliver to you will be a direct swap for your current 5 speed, it will not need any custom parts, your clutch assembly and everything else will just work.

If you go for the LSD option the only thing that will be different is the driveshafts, you will need to fit a pair of Mk2 NA shafts, these will work with your Mk1 hubs as normal, there are loads of those around or i can supply them at extra cost. If you go for a non LSD 6 speed i can build that to work with stock Mk1 driveshafts, so literally everything will be plug and play.

The labour on building a 6 speed transmission for a Mk1 is high, it takes me about 2-3 days to complete each one so it's not a cheap thing to do, but i'm offering it here anyway for those of you that have a popping out 5th or need to replace the original gearbox now could well be the time to upgrade to a nice 6 speed, possibly the coolest thing you can do to a stock Mk1. These gearboxes have the longer final drive and extended 6th gear set for lower cruising RPM and higher top speed.

A supplied 6 speed without LSD is £1050 delivered, that will come with brand new oil seals ready to install.

Add £250 for the LSD option

I can supply Mk2 driveshafts at £100 per pair delivered (i'm sure they can be bought cheaper yourself)

The only other company offering this for the Mk1 is in the USA and they are charging $4500 per gearbox.

There is a 2 week lead time on all orders, i need to source donor gearboxes, in total there are 3 gearboxes required to build one 6 speed with LSD. All of my gearboxes are backed up with 6 months warranty.

Any questions please ask. Thanks Paul.
    Last edited by Woodsport; 5th September 2013 at 06:38 AM.

MR2 Enthusiast
    Hi Paul, this 6 speed box sounds too good to be true. am defiantly interested in one of these for my sc. Once my car is running right (engine) then the next stage will be to replace the gearbox as currently its not a very smooth (crunches and gets stuck in gear etc...)

So since my car is a sc, will the below apply to me, will the the MK2 driveshafts work with the sc hubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsport View Post
    The only thing that will be different is the driveshafts, you will need to fit a pair of Mk2 NA shafts, these will work with your Mk1 hubs as normal, there are loads of those around or i can supply them at extra cost.
    I take it I would need a mk1 n/a gear cable too? anything else Paul?

Club Technical Advisor
    Yes it will all work with your SC hubs, you will have nothing else to buy, it will all just plug and play.

Club Technical Advisor
    Hi folks, i am gearing up (excuse the awful pun!) for a group run of 6 speed NON LSD gearboxes. There is a lot of interest in having a 6 speed option but the costs seem to put many off (i currently build them for £900, which is a quarter of the price they are sold for in the US) . I know that nobody in the UK would dream of spending £3500 on a 6 speed box, so £900 seems pretty realistic.

However i want to try and get the price down further on a group buy of them, which will mean me taking some time out to build 5 or 6 gearboxes in one go.

My question is what price would people be happy to pay for this? Obviously it can't be done for peanuts but if i can realistically offer a run of them at a reduced price please let me know what you would be happy to pay for a 6 speed and i will see what i can do, obviously based on number of takers as well.

Thankyou Paul.

MR2 Obsessive
    this is a fantastic idea paul..
    unfortunatly i dont have the money for one t the mo
    i think 900 for one is a bargain, but after driving a mk1 with a LSD i would have to have one of them
    maybee next year
    Joint South East area organiser any questions please ask
    If you make it idiot proof.... they will make a better idiot

Club Technical Advisor
    Thanks Pete , I think I need a rough price guide people would be more inclined to pay, as it stands only the US owners buy them from me, I'm just wondering how cheap they need to be before UK owners want them or if there's just no interest here at all?

MR2 Obsessive
    prob just a case of people dont' have any money, and just do them to order and leave at price you have as its still cheap enough, and you don't wanna do your self out of money, as you are great for helping people, but you still gotta make a living con't do everything for free

i know as soon as i can afford one i will be looking at it
    Joint South East area organiser any questions please ask
    If you make it idiot proof.... they will make a better idiot

I'm trying to decide whether i actually need one of these or just really want one. There is nothing wrong with my gearbox at the moment but i know this would be a very cool upgrade to have and i wouldn't want to miss the opportunity. Although the price is already reasonable, if a few mk1 owners were interested and the price was notched down to a mutually acceptable amount then this upgrade would be more justifiable, personally speaking. Any idea on a rough estimate for cost of labour to remove the old and fit the new box? Cheers. Rob

Club Technical Advisor
    I'm in Florida right now on limited access, I'll reply better when I get home

Club Technical Advisor
    Just thought i'd add to this by saying that i cannot make this any cheaper than £1000, but i can add value by saying each 6 speed gearbox will come with brand new diff bearings, new input bearing, new output bearing and a new input shaft oil seal along with two new diff output oil seals, this totals £350 worth of parts at the Toyota dealer. The Mk1 gearbox costs £100 and the Celica 6 speed i use costs £250, so that takes us to £700 worth of parts before any labour. My basic fee for rebuilding the whole unit is £300, that takes us to £1000, i am sorry i cannot do a 6 speed any cheaper than this, but like i said there's a guy in the states charging $4,500 for the same job.

That gives both you and i peace of mind that the bearings inside the gearbox are new, diff preload is also adjusted and set to the top end of factory spec.

So while i cannot do it cheaper i can provide a bearing and seal overhauled unit.

I hope that clears the costs up for those interested.