Thread: Woodsport 6 speed gearbox conversion

Threaded View

Club Technical Advisor

Woodsport 6 speed gearbox conversion

Hi folks, we came up with a 6 speed upgrade a long time ago for the Mk1 but i haven't really offered it as a package before but now i can supply 6 speed gearbox packages for the Mk1 that will be a plug and play install.

What i'm offering is a C60 gearbox mated to a Mk1 bellhousing and comes with an optional LSD at extra cost if required, the gearbox i deliver to you will be a direct swap for your current 5 speed, it will not need any custom parts, your clutch assembly and everything else will just work.

If you go for the LSD option the only thing that will be different is the driveshafts, you will need to fit a pair of Mk2 NA shafts, these will work with your Mk1 hubs as normal, there are loads of those around or i can supply them at extra cost. If you go for a non LSD 6 speed i can build that to work with stock Mk1 driveshafts, so literally everything will be plug and play.

The labour on building a 6 speed transmission for a Mk1 is high, it takes me about 2-3 days to complete each one so it's not a cheap thing to do, but i'm offering it here anyway for those of you that have a popping out 5th or need to replace the original gearbox now could well be the time to upgrade to a nice 6 speed, possibly the coolest thing you can do to a stock Mk1. These gearboxes have the longer final drive and extended 6th gear set for lower cruising RPM and higher top speed.

A supplied 6 speed without LSD is £1050 delivered, that will come with brand new oil seals ready to install.

Add £250 for the LSD option

I can supply Mk2 driveshafts at £100 per pair delivered (i'm sure they can be bought cheaper yourself)

The only other company offering this for the Mk1 is in the USA and they are charging $4500 per gearbox.

There is a 2 week lead time on all orders, i need to source donor gearboxes, in total there are 3 gearboxes required to build one 6 speed with LSD. All of my gearboxes are backed up with 6 months warranty.

Any questions please ask. Thanks Paul.
    Last edited by Woodsport; 5th September 2013 at 06:38 AM.