Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 13th MAY PEAK DISTRICT RUN

Thanks for asking, Kev! Just got home via 2 AA relays.
    Only just got going on the run and some water hit the windscreen. Funny, I thought, is Sam in front washing his windscreen? Next thing I spot the steam and the temp gauge goes from normal to eeeeek in about ten seconds. I pulled off and stopped to cool down but even an hour later it was still overheating and the idle speed even now is bouncing all over the shop.
    Still got coolant in the expansion tank though, weirdly.
    Really gutted to have missed the fun and broken the car. Great to meet you all though, Nick.

MR2 Obsessive
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick45 View Post
    Thanks for asking, Kev! Just got home via 2 AA relays.
    Only just got going on the run and some water hit the windscreen. Funny, I thought, is Sam in front washing his windscreen? Next thing I spot the steam and the temp gauge goes from normal to eeeeek in about ten seconds. I pulled off and stopped to cool down but even an hour later it was still overheating and the idle speed even now is bouncing all over the shop.
    Still got coolant in the expansion tank though, weirdly.
    Really gutted to have missed the fun and broken the car. Great to meet you all though, Nick.
    That is terrible Nick, we had some fun and games as Bill saw you turn off and thought you had gone the wrong way so he waited for you. Meanwhile the rest of us carried on. We stopped a while later but could not get a signal on our phones then Bill shot past us and Gary gave chase but could not catch him. We then had to drive until we got a phone signal and eventually we found him but not you. He said he saw smoke coming out of your car but we did not have a number to call you.

If I can be of any help do not hesitate to ask, you are in Huddersfield are you? When you say water hit the windscreen does that mean radiator? The bouncing idle will be air in the system so should not be a problem.

Coverco, sincere apologies if I caused people hassle and many thanks to Bill for stopping. I thought from where I peeled off that he would know I hadn't taken a wrong turn but was ducking out for some reason and I'd hoped everyone would just carry on because I didn't want to spoil anyone else's fun.
    I knew my radiator was dodgy (just bought a spare but not fitted yet - doh!) but as I'd only been losing a tiny bit of coolant for the last week I thought it'd be OK. Wrong again.
    I called out the AA but didn't have a clue where I was - what a palaver! Anyway got sorted eventually.
    Hopefully a replacement radiator and bleed of the system will sort it out. Just hope I haven't cooked anything prior to pulling over. The engine was HOT HOT HOT!!!!! If anyone can link me to a "how to" guide I'd really appreciate it. Sorry again to all if I mucked up the convoy.

glad to hear you are ok nick and home if you need any help just give me a shout

MR2 Obsessive
    No need to apologise Nick we were just worried about what had happened to you. The following link is to the old club technical articles, hope that helps.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200704200...airsindex.html

We were really close to Gary's garage when you departed perhaps we could have sorted you out, never be afraid to ask for help in this club

hi. rotten luck nick , we where only talking about the rad change at dinner , pm me your number and i will go through how to change the rad and bleed the car after ,hopefully you have got away with boiling the engine . my brother has just rung me and his mk1 as overheated as well , the nut sheared on the alternator and thrown the belt so it wasn't driving the water pump he keep driving with the warning lights wtf so hes cooked it twice , i have got to look at it Monday to see if its fubard but it doesn't sound good . anyway thanks for the excellent turn out today it was top fun we even met up with chris at the cat in fiddle pub and had a good chat , and has to catching bill you have a job keeping up with him anyway ,give the bugger a good head start you have no chance great to see new members on the run and loving the wheels Lewis got off Paul woods they suit the car perfect .

roll on tatton show .

gary

Cheers Gary, will pm my number tonight. Am going to have a bash at the repair tomorrow.

MR2 Fan
    What a great day!
    Have returned home with sun burnt face; thanks to having T-bar off all day, aching shoulders; after swinging the steering wheel around those tight turns, clothes stinking of fumes; after following 9 MR2`s and their hot exhaust whofting over the windscreen into the car and a BIG CHEESY GRIN.
    Good to see you guys today.
    So glad to have made the effort to get there, but that`s nowt to the effort put in by Gary to make it a enjoyable day!
    JTB Neil

MR2 Fan
    Come on, get the pics up for those of us who couldn't make it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McRick View Post
    Come on, get the pics up for those of us who couldn't make it!!
    All I have got from the day is this one from around 10am of my electricity starved car. Looking at the above posts it sounds like I was the first casualty of many today! Dropped into the Cat & Fiddle at 5pm though to say hello, sounds like another great success

Lewis - sorry I wasnt able to give you the spare wheel bolt today. PM me your address & I'll send it out to you.
    Last edited by Master-B; 13th May 2012 at 11:08 PM.