Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not yet an owner

MR2 Newbie

Not yet an owner

As we are asked to post or risk getting the newly created account deleted: Hello!

I do not yet own a MR2 Mk1 - but am looking at the moment. So if you want to make me a great offer feel free to do so! What I would like to know is: What are your opinions on the T-Bars? The idea seems nice to me, but not sure if I end up with loads of problems (leaking, worse handling) in exchange for taking it off these two sunny days we get here.

Staffordshire Moorlands nr. Stoke on Trent
    well i'm on my 3rd MK1over the past 8 years, 2 coupe sunroof models then finally got a T bar, I never drive with the roof panels fitted unless its raining, (sunrooves can also be completely removed and stored in the "frunk"),my one does not leak and it lives outside, not noticed any difference in handling, probably take a track day to show up any major body flex but as a road car there isn't anything between the variants

I agree with Kevin. I have owned 2 t-bars and now on a tin top. The t-bars do tend to have a problem with leaks but we know lots of ways to treat this so do not let this stop you. Some people say there is a difference in handling but not sure how much. I personally would sacrifice a small amount of the brilliant handling (if this is noticeable) for the fun of a t bar but that is personal choice.
    Would you take the panels out regularly?
    Good luck with the search and post your possibles up here as greater authorities than me will be happy to help. Get the buying guides and ask any questions!
    You are not too far from me and there is at least one other member in Cambridge.
    Get yourself along to a meet as well and you can see our cars.

I've had countless Mk1s but I remember by t bars well, they all leaked and flexed. I'd rather have a leak free sunroof on tin top personally. I didn't get much enjoyment out of having the t bars out either, when you're doing 130MPH the wind noise is almost insufferable!

Perhaps my 30 years with motorbikes means i don't mind the outdoors! For hard driving/track day use go for a tin top every time, if you see me driving mine with the roof on & its not raining you have my permition to shoot me
    Last edited by kevin..in; 23rd February 2012 at 04:43 PM.

MR2 Newbie
    Thanks for your input. I guess I will just see what I can get in good condition for a good price. I think I would prefer a T-Bar but if I will find a real good Mk1 without the T-Bar I may still take that.

Ollie,

How often do you get the chance to do 130mph?

If you do want the car for track days then a tin tip is the way forward. If you want it for road use, 130mph is only an option abroad or on track days and I bet there are more opportunities to enjoy a topless day in the sun than there is to enjoy high speeds.

However it still comes down to personal choice, I prefer a t-bar (although I own a tin top which becomes a little oven in the Summer!)

I've always wanted a T-Bar but from seeing people having to rebuild their headlining and the expense and time it costs its put me off. Nice for the summer though, but I've had two sunroof '2s now and never had an issue.

The sunroof is totally removable don't forget! Can store it in the frunk or if you have a strut brace, behind the passenger or driver seat!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin..in View Post
    if you see me driving mine with the roof on & its not raining you have my permission to shoot me
    A man after my own heart My T-bars spend 98% of their lives in bags behind my seats.

I've always wanted a T-Bar but from seeing people having to rebuild their headlining and the expense and time it costs its put me off.
    Your depriving yourself for nothing, sure some people have T-bar problems, but IMHO the majority don't. It's always the same, you only hear about the problems, not the good times
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quote Originally Posted by ub80 View Post
    Thanks for your input. I guess I will just see what I can get in good condition for a good price. I think I would prefer a T-Bar but if I will find a real good Mk1 without the T-Bar I may still take that.
    makes good sense to buy the best MK1 you can find, T bar, sunroof or tin top they are all great cars in good condition, you haven't stated what budget you have to play with, or what type of use you want from it i.e. sunny sunday drives, daily driver, track day etc. not that there is any great cost difference between the 3 variants, condition is the key factor, but if you have you're heart set on roofless driving you will always wish you'd gone T bar