In trying to sew together the usual New Year celebratory meal for us all, contacting the Tally Ho brought the not altogether unexpected news that they are about to suffer yet another change of management, right about the time our next get-together is scheduled for, Wednesday 18th Jan.

However, all is not lost, since there is another decent pub even closer to J14 / M4, the Pheasant Inn at Shefford Woodlands.

Instead of turning south onto the A338 at J14 to head towards Hungerford, turn NORTH towards Wantage. Within 400 yards, there's the staggered crossroad with Ermin Street, the B4000 where you turn left (west, signposted for Lambourn and Baydon), whereupon the Pheasant is a few yards on, on the right.

It will of course be a voyage of discovery for us all, but have a look at http://www.thepheasant-inn.co.uk/home.php – I've been there many years ago, and it was a perfectly decent pub, and it looks as if they've invested significantly in it since then. The manager, Ollie, was certainly very affable on the phone to me and the menu on the website look enterprising, interesting and not significantly differently priced that the Tally Ho's offerings, so given the very insecure situation at The Tally Ho, I've made the executive decision we'll meet there, from 1900 or so on, to sit down for our New Year meal together at 2000, in the hope the change will offer all of you the absolute minimum of disruption in terms of journey and journey time (it will be almost identical to those for the Tally Ho, of course).

Their 3-options menu follows below, for a fixed £21 a head for 3 course, that looks pretty good v.f.m to me, and will keep the maths really easy, £21 per head and buy your own drinks (and mine too if you like!!!).

Pls study the attached, and let me know your selections by c.o.b Friday 13 Jan, when I'm back from my week away in Cornwall, walking the coast-path and drinking Proper Job, Doom Bar and Tribute!!! I'll then be able to get back to The Pheasant with our consolidated order (and number of attendees confirmation, of course) in good time for their kitchen staff to get in the ingredients and be ready for us on Wednesday 18th Jan – arrive for drinkies 1900-1930, and we'll sit down for the meal at 2000, I suggest.

Happy New Year to you all.
Regards
Peter Scatchard

The Pheasant Inn and Hotel
Dinner Menu for MR2 Club 18th January 2012

Choice of Starters: -
Soup
or
Chicken Liver Pate, Brioche
or
Breaded Whitebait, Lemon Mayonnaise

Choice of Main Course:-
Minute Steak, Grilled Tomato, Field Mushroom, Onion Rings, Chips, Peppercorn Sauce
or
Fish, Chips, Mushy Peas, Tartare Sauce
or
Chicken and Wild Mushroom Risotto

Choice of Dessert: -
Spotted Dick , Custard
or
Chocolate Tart, Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
or
Crème Brûlée