Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mk1b on Autotrader

Question Mk1b on Autotrader

Does anyone know anything about this car?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...14ue?logcode=p

Looks tight from the pics. I contacted the dealer but I just got the usual guff. He did say, though, that he can't find any rust around the wheel arches or on the sills.

I'm looking for a tidy Mk1b for a turbo/v6 engine swap with Woodsport.

Cheers,
    Steve

Go and have a look at it.

Its got mk1a seats for a start, the 'TOYOTA' sticker is missing off of the front bumper and the screaming eagle sticker is missing off of the rear bumper.

Seems too cheap for something that has no rust on the arches and sills.

1a seats are probably explained by the leaky t bar destroying the original seats

I'd go and have a look myself as I realise I'm not too far away from you or the car, but I'm not making any out of the way trips as my car is poorly.

The best thing to get would be a car with mint arches and body, but a dead/dying engine.

Cheers Super. I had noticed the seats. It clearly didn't come out of the factory like that. Also I don't really want a t-bar but would be willing to compromise if it turns out this machine is tidy. The thing that makes me curious is that this is with a dealer. They probably don't know much about Mk1s, so if the bodywork is mint they wouldn't know where to pitch it. I'm up in Colchester next week. I'll take a detour on the way home and check it out.

Hi there, i'm fairly local to you, shame its in Clacton, which is a shlep. I glanced over it on Autotrader and thought it looked a bit iffy at first glance. It's been resprayed, or from the lack of badges (boot, bumpers, triple stripe trim) it certainly looks like it has. The seats are from a mk1a as others have mentioned which doesn't bode well to it not having been 'Mucked about with' and why would you put red seats in a blue car!!!!

But to be honest there is no substitute to going to look over it, in good light, and old clothes, as you really want to crawl around under it. There is a checklist of places to look out for somewhere, but in short, rear arches, inside the door shuts, under the carpet in the foot well, the very bottom of the frunk under the spare and carpet, check under the side trims and sills if you can, and look up at the front bumper bar lying under the front of the car. Check for the shocks being knackered by leaning on each corner and making sure it returns to level properly, and is worth looking at the clearance between each tyre and the wing/arch (it should be even all round) as I've been caught out by that twice! Might be ok for an engine swap though, but would have thought a tiptop would be the car to go for if your doing a woodsport V6...

Please post an update if you go to see it... Be good to have another mk1 in the Essex area....
    Last edited by EppingMk1SC; 3rd January 2012 at 08:36 PM.

Cheers Paul.

Firstly, I can't wait to own a Mk1 MR2 again! It's been 6 years since my last foray and I miss it immensely. I've had a few fun cars in the interim but nothing matches the feeling I get from a Mk1. I seriously expect to tear up next time I sit in one. For real.

I was being hopeful: debadged deliberately for style, worn leather seats so replaced with the comfier (IMO) fabric ones, ignorant dealer who's selling a rust-free gem for a steal. Probably not, but I will go and have a look on Monday afternoon.

I think the guide you're talking about is this one:
    http://www.challoner.com/mr2/tech/mk1bg.html

Brilliant article, helpfully written. I will not be embarrassed to take a print out of this when I go for a look-see and write notes.

One final thing: V6 vs turbo?

Steve

I would choose either supercharged or V6 over a turbo, just personal preference really. I've never really liked the lag of a turbo compared to the effortless power of a V6 or the instant response of a 'charger. Plus V6's just sound lurvely.

But then my last non Mk1 car was a flat-6 so that proves I don't know what I'm talking about and I never listen to my own advice

P.s I'm currently contemplating a Mk3 Supra to add to my stable of impractical stupidity.

Not being funny, its in Clacton - I'd stay away from this like the plague!

There are hundreds of cars for sale in the area and most of them have something wrong with them.

My mate lives in Clackers and I have or my motor has spent some time there recently, very iffy dealers and they try to have you over.

So, a supercharged V6 it is then! If only my wallet agreed.

I previously talked myself out of turbo cars, but if the spinup is quick enough then I love them. I like to feel that I'm working for the power. But I must admit I preferred the pickup of my SC over the Cosworth lump in my Rush. The Rush was insanely quicker, of course, but you had to be so rude with it to get anything out of it.

I have a mental block with the V6. I imagine it performs like a powerful diesel engine. All torque, no revs, quick but unsatisfying. I'm probably talking tosh, but I have this picture in my mind of grumbling along in 5th all the time. But to counter this I much prefer to know precisely how much power I'm going to get when exiting a corner, unlike the turbo lottery you sometimes get.

Really, I need to experience both before I can make up my mind. Are there any meets in the Essex area soon?

Super: the Clacton dealer sounds like a numpty. "Yeah mate, it's mint, come and see it now because it won't be here tomorrow. Nah, no rust on the sills!" I bet he doesn't know what a sill is, and he seems mighty confident of his assertion assuming as I do that he has not removed the skirts to have a look.