Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shocking?

MR2 Newbie

Question shocking?

where is the best place to get uprated shocks from? the best i have found in konis for about £170 each.
    cheers

MR2 Newbie
    aah excelent mate thanks a lot

You're welcome! I got mine from there a couple of years back, good service and the Koni kit is great. The springs are a bit too soft for my liking but good value and with the Koni's turned up 3/4 turn from full soft mode the set up is great for everyday

Jeeez they've gone up in price! I bought mine three years ago as a group buy on IMOC for £395.00

Great value for money though - cannot fault them.

MR2 Newbie
    do you know if the apex springs are any stiffer? as i already have a set of them lol
    would uprated anti-roll bars help if they are a bit soft

Absolutely, an uprated ARB is the next upgrade I want to do. It's interesting playing with the stiffness of the Koni's to get an idea of how a stiffer ARB set up will work for you. What I have found is that I have to have the rear Knoi's turned up 3/4 of a turn and the front 1/2 a turn to get a similar level of roll from front to back. This is the set up I'm running every day now. But if I turn the rears up to 1 full turn it feels even better in the corners but it's too harsh for me to live with day to day - so I'm going to upgrade my rear ARB one day soon.

Mine's a MK1a but I understand the rear ARB is bigger on the MK1b so you might be better if you have a MK1b? The front ARB's I think are the same and seem to be up to the job with 1/2 a turn on the Koni's. The best/cheapest upgrade path is to get a MK2 Turbo rear ARB which will fit a MK1b with the correct bushes IIRC, but the MK1a involves changing the bracket positions to mount it.

What should I do given that the roads are unbelievably bad? (no seriously, ridiculously broken and bumpy)

(and don't say "get a Landrover", because I already have )
    Last edited by CecilWard; 27th November 2011 at 05:02 PM.

If you're looking for comfort with Koni's and some half decent handling I'd recommend 1/4 turn up front and 1/2 a turn at the back. That's a very pleasant set up and probably similar to how I imagine Toyota would do an OEM release of the MK1 if it was in showrooms today.

At least in my mind it is

I have mine set to stiff all the time - can feel lumps and bumps and noises bones breaking but its all good fun