Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a car transport company?

MR2 Obsessive
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobyblue View Post
    the drive through ireland isnt bad either , unless you closed your eyes for that bit!
    I was over in NI in April and with the standard of driving I saw keeping your eyes closed when driving in the province is very beneficial

There are some nice roads in Ulster however it is so small if you blink you miss it, remember NI is only 110miles wide and 85 miles high just a bit bigger than Yorkshire although there are 3-4 times as many people in Yorkshire

MR2 Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by coverco View Post
    I was over in NI in April and with the standard of driving I saw keeping your eyes closed when driving in the province is very beneficial

There are some nice roads in Ulster however it is so small if you blink you miss it, remember NI is only 110miles wide and 85 miles high just a bit bigger than Yorkshire although there are 3-4 times as many people in Yorkshire
    ever hear the saying about quality , not quantity,think on. you really are starting to irritate with your narrow minded xenophobic attitude towards the irish and personally i wont be having any more to do with your posts or opinions. i dont know what your problem is but whatever it is you should keep it to yourself and let the forum return to those that use it for the purposes that it was designed for. seeya,wouldnt like to beya

hi , i think you have got the wrong end of the stick here scooby , Tommy is a great funny bloke who likes a laugh and a joke , and he comes from Ireland him self

gary

MR2 Obsessive
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobyblue View Post
    ever hear the saying about quality , not quantity,think on. you really are starting to irritate with your narrow minded xenophobic attitude towards the irish and personally i wont be having any more to do with your posts or opinions. i dont know what your problem is but whatever it is you should keep it to yourself and let the forum return to those that use it for the purposes that it was designed for. seeya,wouldnt like to beya
    Goodness me this is really incredible, if you look at a post the smileys are supposed to convey the seriousness of that post. It is even funnier for the fact I was born in Downpatrick and brought up in Newtownards so trust me when I say I am not being xenophobic. However the facts are that Northern Ireland is a very small province of the United Kingdom with around 1.5 million inhabitants or do you want to argue about that as well. I was over at easter and the standard of driving (in my opinion) was really poor, especially on the motorway. Now don't get upset but I know you only have 6 according to Wikipedia which is probably why many drivers there have no lane discipline due to lack of practice. This is the reason that historically insurance premiums in Northern Ireland are around 50% more expensive than on the mainland. A lot of people thought the reason for high premiums was the troubles but the insurance companies did not pay out on cars that were blown up the government did, the premiums were high due to the large number of claims per head of population.

I accept that speaking the truth on this forum is normally met with a number of members ganging up on the truth speaker telling them to shut up and the like, however it does not alter the fact that the truth is the truth

I don't expect a reply as you are no longer going to read my posts but I bet you read it secretly, enjoy

When I was driving in Eire, we were on a main arterial route into Dublin (on our way to meet Alpha13 - top banana) and we were the only car on the motorway for most of the journey. It became a joke with my dad and I when we did occasionally spot another car. It was eerie......We wondered if it was actually open.

And the signs saying petrol were incredibly misleading and I learnt just how fast the petrol guage on my SC dropped after 1/4 tank. Seat of our pants stuff.

The standard of driving in Eire seemed just fine but then I often drive in Naples and they are nutters on another level. Lovely lovely people but the driving is scary random driving.

MR2 Obsessive
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateg28 View Post
    The standard of driving in Eire seemed just fine but then I often drive in Naples and they are nutters on another level. Lovely lovely people but the driving is scary random driving.
    It is years since I have driven in Southern Ireland and even though it is a foreign country they have the decency to drive on the left so it is fairly easy

I have driven in Milan and I agree with you totally Kate, driving in Italy is on a completely different level of madness

MR2 Newbie
    Flying over and picking the car up was the prefered option. By far. But I'm just too snowed under with work. And being a one-man-band work-wise, it's not even feasible to take the day-and-a-bit off. So it's actually far cheaper to ship it.

I have a friend over in Ballydehob, and hope to one day to explore those wide open Irish roads.

MR2 Obsessive
    I don't know if it is possible but could the car be put on the Liverpool ferry by the seller without a driver and you fly to Liverpool and meet it off the boat? You should be able to do that in half a day. Not ideal as you would have to let someone drive it on and off the boat without you being there but it may be a cheaper option, I would be interested in knowing how much a transport company would charge (I suspect lots!!).

or you have another option?? if you had someone you could trust... you could get them to come over, collect the car a drive it back to you.... it might be a little bit messy, but you would know the car is safe the whole way and nothing will get robbed or that off the car and i suspect it might even be a little cheaper???
    just a thought.

If only I could spare the time......

Although I do admit, part of the magic was developing a relationship with my car.