Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a car transport company?

MR2 Newbie

Recommend a car transport company?

Anyone here able to recommend a car transport company to bring an MR2 from BT28 all the way over to Suffolk?

I've just submitted a job request to www.shiply.com and am waiting for quotes to come in.

But if any of you guys have shipped to/from Northern Ireland and have had a good experience with a particular guy, please let me know.

Thanks.

would you not be able to drive it over??? the car is certainly good enough.
    kate28g did that from down the south over here to back there in her neck of the woods??
    probably be cheaper easier and better....not to mention safer as you can keep an eye on the car the whole way...

I did indeed! And it was fantastic, had a great time. All my problems started when I got here and where due to importing as Eire is different country. NI should be easier.

Went with my dad and made a weekend of it. Thoroughly recommend it!
    Cost about £300 in the end but worth it.

Totally agree the best way is to come over and drive it back ,i brought mine over from Birmingham my son and myself flew over and came back on the Liverpool boat it was great fun .
    Colin
    When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just get in your MR2 and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the drive you are taking."

I wrote my above post on my phone when feeling very ill so just wanted to clarify "All my problems started when I got here".

When I arrived home in leafy Hertfodshire, the car comprehensively failed it's MOT and then took nearly 2 months of work, lots of money and a lot of beaurocracy from our dearly beloved DVLA. None of the problems were due to travelling across, picking the car up and driving home. Fabulous time. Throroughly recommend it.

As for the DVLA, I will be putting a formal complaint into their governing body, remind me again who that is......

Oh, yes, Themselves. law unto themselves. Utterly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kateg28 View Post
    I wrote my above post on my phone when feeling very ill so just wanted to clarify "All my problems started when I got here".

When I arrived home in leafy Hertfodshire, the car comprehensively failed it's MOT and then took nearly 2 months of work, lots of money and a lot of beaurocracy from our dearly beloved DVLA. None of the problems were due to travelling across, picking the car up and driving home. Fabulous time. Throroughly recommend it.

As for the DVLA, I will be putting a formal complaint into their governing body, remind me again who that is......

Oh, yes, Themselves. law unto themselves. Utterly.
    well hopefully you are enjoying the car fully now kate

I certainly am Mark! You saw the car the day I bought it and I think you will agree, the problems were all underneath and hidden.

Now all sorted and happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kateg28 View Post
    I certainly am Mark! You saw the car the day I bought it and I think you will agree, the problems were all underneath and hidden.

Now all sorted and happy!
    well hidden indeed... but i hope you feel it was worth it now that it is all done it was a smashing car when you picked it up...sure it is even better now

MR2 Obsessive
    Easiest and cheapest option is to fly over and drive it back. I have brought loads of cars and bikes back and forth over the years. Either get the Belfast/Liverpool overnight boat which takes about 9-10 hours or if you fancy a proper drive go Larne/Cairnryan or Belfast/Stranraer. These take as little as 1 hour but the drive through Scotland is very pleasant with some fantastic roads, the M6 is not as much fun but you will find out a lot about the car on such a long journey.

MR2 Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by coverco View Post
    Easiest and cheapest option is to fly over and drive it back. I have brought loads of cars and bikes back and forth over the years. Either get the Belfast/Liverpool overnight boat which takes about 9-10 hours or if you fancy a proper drive go Larne/Cairnryan or Belfast/Stranraer. These take as little as 1 hour but the drive through Scotland is very pleasant with some fantastic roads, the M6 is not as much fun but you will find out a lot about the car on such a long journey.
    the drive through ireland isnt bad either , unless you closed your eyes for that bit!