PDA

View Full Version : Fox Street, Everton, Liverpool

Master-B
11th June 2011, 06:38 PM
Friday 10th June around 2pm. Clean looking 89 white mk1 parked up next to the industrial units on Fox Street, I think its the same one spotted at Switch Island a couple of months back

kevin..in
11th June 2011, 08:48 PM
on bricks with 4 scallys running down the road with a wheel each, sorry but my 'pool experiences come from toxteth in the eighties

Master-B
11th June 2011, 10:56 PM
I come from toxteth in the 80s and you are correct it was a lawless city back then, but for very good reason, the government of the time failed to protect the assets not just of liverpool but of many northern cities and a lot of families lived one day to the next not knowing where the next meal was coming from. Horrific to think it was allowed to happen in modern western society. Times change and local economies adjust, its still far from a perfect city (show me one that is) but thankfully that level of desperation and frustration is generally just a memory for the last generation. Its such a shame the prejudice of stereotype still exists and continues to be fuelled today by "professional" scousers *glares at john bishop*

kevin..in
12th June 2011, 08:01 AM
yes toteth was a scarry place but a mate of mine had student digs there, so I do actually have fond memories of saturday nights with alarm bells constantly ringing, transit van loads of youths battering eachother with pick axe handles, sunday morning in the corner shop with bread held safe behind mesh and a little slot to pass your money through, best was when a gang of youths tried to steal the car we had gone up to the 'pool in (for its sunday outing and barbeque on southport beach no doubt!) us 5 guys watching from a basement window not daring to confront them as the pushed it up and down the road trying to bump start it, smug grins though as the HT leads were safe indoors with us

Master-B
12th June 2011, 08:12 AM
Ha ha ha good work! A mate of mine used to take his steering wheel off when he lived that way to similar effect!

julianw
12th June 2011, 04:57 PM
No, I can't resist telling you about this... once upon a time, me and the wife had decided that an Espace would make our lives complete. It cost us £1700 quid. I did some tidying up and we took it to France for a holiday. The wife is driving, we're on the autoroute passing St. Quentin (so we have a long way to go to get to Cannes). She's decided we need to get a move on and floors it. We soon need more fuel. Funny how the temperature and pressure of your engine spikes AFTER a fast run. The heater feed hose blows up like a balloon while we're queueing for fuel then bursts, going 'bof' in a very French way, leaving us with no coolant. I worry that the head gasket might be gone. It gets dragged to a Renault dealership, who say 'Non' and order in a new hose. RAC and Euro cover steps in and we continue on our way in a hired Scenic. One week later, we return to St Quentin to leave the hirecar and pick up the Espace to go home. It doesn't make it out of the car park. It gets towed home, all the way to Neath in South Wales and dropped at the back lane to our house. Monday morning, I phone a local garage to get them to quote for the head gasket. I go out to the car, and find that both front doors have been prised open, the documents nicked from the glove box (Doh!) and no steering wheel - or top to the steering column. It had snapped off when the would be thieves tried to get past the steering lock with brute force, then they nicked the wheel to cover their tracks. Head gasket is now the least of my worries. The insurance company paid us out just 100quid less than what we paid for it. We didn't buy another Espace. I did take the hint and moved out of Neath. I consider myself a lucky person in general.