PDA

View Full Version : Old Technical Articles

The Silver Fox
24th May 2011, 05:29 PM
What has happened to the old Technical Articles? The link from the Mechanical forum seems to be broken.

Regards

Douglas

Monkeymax
25th May 2011, 10:33 AM
Hi Douglas,
Due to the site move-over, none of the old documents are online anymore. I have a local backup copy of the files and we will gradually be moving them back online one-by-one as we update them.
Is there any one you're specifically after? I can upload that one somewhere for you temporarily if need be.

Regards,
Max

The Silver Fox
25th May 2011, 11:00 AM
No Max, it was just a general enquiry. They were a good reference point before having to look elsewhere or asking questions on the forum.

Douglas

Monkeymax
25th May 2011, 11:10 AM
Okay, thanks for letting me know Douglas. We are indeed working on these things bit by bit. (The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed a couple of changes today as well. ;) )

Fingers crossed they'll be back soon.

The Silver Fox
7th February 2012, 05:47 PM
Is there a plan for moving this forward ? There was a lot of useful information in those articles.

Regards

Douglas

tommundy
7th February 2012, 06:08 PM
Hi Douglas,
I need to check with Richard Brett and the company that managed the website migration, as I too think that the articles are an invaluable part of the site. I know some people will say that they need updating, but something is better than nothing!
I'll make enquiries and report back.
Cheers,
Tom

coverco
13th February 2012, 01:26 PM
Try this

http://web.archive.org/web/20070420015102/http://www.mr2mk1club.com/repairsindex.html

jimi
13th February 2012, 03:37 PM
I've got pdf copies of articles pages 1-99 if anyone needs a specific article or if they are of any use to the club. The only important one I'm missing is 101 Gearbox Rebuild the images for this one went awol a long time ago and I've never been able to track them down. I think the reason they went missing is because someone messed up and there are 2 page 101's I think the later page 101 (rear 3/4 panel) overwrote the earlier page 101 (Gearbox rebuild) a shame the gearbox one would have been useful.

The Silver Fox
13th February 2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info. I was after the engine removal guide but Paul has kindly sent a copy to me.

Douglas

MR2MK1
2nd April 2012, 06:48 PM
Hi Douglas,
I need to check with Richard Brett and the company that managed the website migration, as I too think that the articles are an invaluable part of the site. I know some people will say that they need updating, but something is better than nothing!
I'll make enquiries and report back.
Cheers,
Tom

Any word on getting the articles back on the site it's just not the same without them.I think it is a big plus for attracting new members as well.
This thread has been kicking about now for a while whats the score does anyone know if we are getting them back would be great if we could .

Cheers
Colin

tommundy
2nd April 2012, 07:15 PM
I've got a bit of free time on Friday/Saturday so will do them then. I'll update this thread once done.

Cheers,
Tom

MR2MK1
3rd April 2012, 06:00 PM
Tom thanks for that, when trying to attract new members i always use it as a plug lol
Colin

MR2MK1
3rd April 2012, 06:01 PM
Tom thanks for that, when trying to attract new members i always use it as a plug lol
Colin

coverco
6th April 2012, 05:25 PM
Tom the link in my post does bring up the old technical articles, they really are very good. I have been using them for years, if you need any help let me know.

tommundy
6th April 2012, 05:30 PM
Yup, I'll just rip the html code and pictures from that link and host them on the current server. :)

Cheers,
Tom

tommundy
7th April 2012, 10:55 AM
Right, I made a start on recovering the files from the waybackmachine archive link and have done the first chapter:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/repairs/repairsindex.html

It took me about 90 minutes to do this first chapter and it didn't have that many pictures in the articles. The thing that's taking the time is that each picture link and each link within the pages are modified to the waybackmachine links. Although find and replace works wonders it's still a long process. You also have to go into each article and save all of the pictures.

Due to this I've E-mailed Max asking for the backup that he took from the old website that he'd mentioned earlier in this thread, which I'll then be able to simply upload.

If the backup is no longer available then I'll work my way through the other chapters. :)

I'll keep this thread updated as usual.

Thanks again for your patience.

Cheers,
Tom

MR2MK1
7th April 2012, 11:41 AM
Good one keep the good work up lol

jimi
7th April 2012, 01:30 PM
Right, I made a start on recovering the files from the waybackmachine archive link and have done the first chapter:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/repairs/repairsindex.html

It took me about 90 minutes to do this first chapter and it didn't have that many pictures in the articles. The thing that's taking the time is that each picture link and each link within the pages are modified to the waybackmachine links. Although find and replace works wonders it's still a long process. You also have to go into each article and save all of the pictures.

Due to this I've E-mailed Max asking for the backup that he took from the old website that he'd mentioned earlier in this thread, which I'll then be able to simply upload.

If the backup is no longer available then I'll work my way through the other chapters. :)

I'll keep this thread updated as usual.

Thanks again for your patience.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom
I have almost all of the articles (with pictures) in PDF format, if you open one in Adobe Reader and then save as html it will extract the text and pictures, this may make it some what quicker for you. Let me know if your interested and we'll figure out a way of getting the files to you
Jimi

superwhite90
10th April 2012, 02:59 PM
I could do with them Jimi if they are available?

tommundy
23rd April 2012, 06:22 PM
Right all, Max has got back to me with the backup of the old Mk1 site so I'll be able to make swift progress in getting the technical articles back online!

Once they're up, if anyone wants to update them or think they themselves could do any of them better/more clearly, please get in touch with your submissions.

I'll update this thread once the articles are fully back up!

Thanks again.