PDA

View Full Version : Avatars

coverco
11th May 2011, 12:14 PM
Are we going to be allowed to use avatars any time soon?

Monkeymax
11th May 2011, 05:44 PM
You can already at the moment. Need to set it up in your profile.

Jimbo_Jet
11th May 2011, 06:02 PM
I've got mine set up in my profile but it's vanished from my posts? :/

Monkeymax
11th May 2011, 06:49 PM
Looks like you've set up a profile picture but not the avatar pic, so you need to upload that image to the avatar picture instead.
(Don't ask me what the profile pic is for - I haven't figured that out yet!)

coverco
11th May 2011, 07:39 PM
Sorry Max but there is no option under Edit Avatar to upload one :-(

Jimbo_Jet
11th May 2011, 07:45 PM
I'm the same. I have and edit avatar option but no way to upload one? :confused:

Kateg28
11th May 2011, 09:00 PM
+ 1
I can't either

Monkeymax
11th May 2011, 09:10 PM
That's... bizarre. Right, orff to do some spanner flinging then.

Monkeymax
11th May 2011, 09:15 PM
There we are. Should all work now (please let me know). A switch got incorrectly set during the changeover.
I've disabled the profile pics so as not to cause confusion between the two.

Please note, though, that we will be changing permissions of things such as avatars once we get the different membership levels finally sorted on here.

Jimbo_Jet
11th May 2011, 09:48 PM
Haaaaaallelujah!!:D Max shoots and he scores!:+:

FossMan
12th May 2011, 09:04 AM
Jimbo_Jet. Your avatar is sweet! Loves me a bit of OutRun.

Not as good as mine though. PRINCESS!

I hope we are not going to follow suit with certain other MR2 forums and require paid membership to have a 100x100 picture below our name. Always found that pretty hilarious.

Jimbo_Jet
12th May 2011, 10:38 AM
Jimbo_Jet. Your avatar is sweet! Loves me a bit of OutRun.

Cheers! Can't beat at bit of 80's retro can you :D

coverco
12th May 2011, 12:42 PM
Well done Max. Are we going to get forum only membership? If so I will sign up :-)

Monkeymax
12th May 2011, 02:31 PM
Fossman, I'm undecided on whether Avatars should be a paid member priviledge or not. In theory they don't 'cost' much anymore in terms of bandwidth (though 10x100k avatars can make a page big to download, so I'm going to have to think about it for a bit) but it'd be good for the paid members to have some demarkation with the non-paid members, IYSWIM.

Tommy, I'm pushing for it, yes. Committee agrees, but it's all down the technical side of implementation. Fingers crossed.

kevin..in
12th May 2011, 04:03 PM
can't seem to find how to upload my usual Avatar, but then i can't seem to find a way to become a paid member either,
clicked the link & thats not working yet, can't seem to get a PM to send, tried email and had no reply

coverco
12th May 2011, 05:40 PM
Tommy, I'm pushing for it, yes. Committee agrees, but it's all down the technical side of implementation. Fingers crossed.
As long as I don't have to have the bloomin magazine I am in :-)

I am now a fully paid up hippy as I had solar PV panels fitted at the weekend and I really love trees so let's lose the magazine. Think of the trees, you know it makes sense :-)

Kateg28
12th May 2011, 10:12 PM
No, don't lose the magazine. I like reading proper magazines and books. I spend my working day on electronic correspondence and paperless office implementation. I need to feel the paper. I will never have a kindle for that same reason! I am even trying to write an article for it.

coverco
13th May 2011, 06:57 AM
No, don't lose the magazine. I like reading proper magazines and books. I spend my working day on electronic correspondence and paperless office implementation. I need to feel the paper. I will never have a kindle for that same reason! I am even trying to write an article for it.
I love my Sony Ebook reader nearly as much as I love trees :-)

Think of the children and protect our diminishing natural resources, every little helps :-)

kevin..in
13th May 2011, 07:27 AM
I love my Sony Ebook reader nearly as much as I love trees :-)

because the manufacture of electronics is way greener than paper production? lots of rare earth elements been strip mined for your E reader while paper production from renewable sources is greener than you think

Kateg28
13th May 2011, 08:24 AM
Paper is recyclable! Managing our resources and re- planting our forests is more important than strip mining. I lived for 13 years on a farm and woodland needs to be managed and that includes felling some trees. You cannot just leave (pun intended) them or some species will be wiped out.

As for lithium which is used to power many electronic devices, it is only mined in very few places, it is then shipped to China to make the batteries which are extremely toxic. And then they are shipped around the world. Much more environmentally friendly to grow a tree, fell it and then grow another.

Monkeymax
13th May 2011, 09:02 AM
I prefer reading on paper too, but definitely see a place for electronic readers (I have a filing cabinet full of academic papers I've read, highlighted, annotated and keep going back to - I'd have preferred having them on a tablet like device, but they weren't readily available until recently and are still too expensive for me. I want to keep them when I leave (due to all my notes, etc) but can't due to a lack of space. So it'll all be going in the recycling bin - not that bad, but not really great in my opinion. I still prefer my magazines on paper though. ;)

We realise people want both options, (based on a survey taken last year ( ? ) ) and we're working towards that.

Annnnhnyway, back on topic; let me know if any of you are still having problems with Avatars.

kevin..in
13th May 2011, 09:11 AM
Annnnhnyway, back on topic; let me know if any of you are still having problems with Avatars.
no edit avatar button n my profile page at all
still not able to send PM just says recipients inbox is full
avatar is now fixed, yes I was looking in the wrong area

kevin..in
13th May 2011, 09:13 AM
Paper is recyclable! Managing our resources and re- planting our forests is more important than strip mining. I lived for 13 years on a farm and woodland needs to be managed and that includes felling some trees. You cannot just leave (pun intended) them or some species will be wiped out.

As for lithium which is used to power many electronic devices, it is only mined in very few places, it is then shipped to China to make the batteries which are extremely toxic. And then they are shipped around the world. Much more environmentally friendly to grow a tree, fell it and then grow another.

this was the point i intended to make in my last post,

Monkeymax
13th May 2011, 09:26 AM
no edit avatar button n my profile page at all

Hmmm... I've gone through all your settings and you should be able to. Are you looking in the right place? Go to the top of this page, "Forum Actions" (Under the "What's new" tab), click "Edit Profile". In the new page look on the left for a box titled "My Settings". WIthin there is the option to "Edit Avatar". You can then upload it and save changes.

I know, it's a bit more awkward than before, but you should see what I'm dealing with on the back end! :lol:

still not able to send PM just says recipients inbox is full

Not much I can do about that - they have to log in and clear their inbox! They'll be getting email notifications that their inbox is full and someone is trying to send them messages, though. Let me know who it is and I'll send a nudge email. ;)

kevin..in
13th May 2011, 09:58 AM
Hmmm... I've gone through all your settings and you should be able to. Are you looking in the right place? Go to the top of this page, "Forum Actions" (Under the "What's new" tab), click "Edit Profile". In the new page look on the left for a box titled "My Settings". WIthin there is the option to "Edit Avatar". You can then upload it and save changes.

I know, it's a bit more awkward than before, but you should see what I'm dealing with on the back end! :lol:

Not much I can do about that - they have to log in and clear their inbox! They'll be getting email notifications that their inbox is full and someone is trying to send them messages, though. Let me know who it is and I'll send a nudge email. ;)

well you told me to PM Karl T about becoming a payed up member but as his inbox is full i can't do that, also tried stuart kynoch with the same result, lastly max I tried you

sorted the avatar now thanks MAX

Monkeymax
13th May 2011, 10:12 AM
lastly max I tried you

Hmm, yes you did - sorry. Been snowed under with password request emails (aside from my usual snowed under with work!). I'll nudge Karl then. :)

kevin..in
13th May 2011, 10:14 AM
Hmm, yes you did - sorry. Been snowed under with password request emails (aside from my usual snowed under with work!). I'll nudge Karl then. :)

not having a go Max I'm aware that you have more than too much to sort now and I'll be around for the long term anyway, but there must be new members who have tried and failed to join up and that can only be a bad thing

kevin..in
13th May 2011, 10:43 AM
Wow membership upgrade button now works , I am both a fully paid up member and £25.00 lighter

coverco
13th May 2011, 02:52 PM
because the manufacture of electronics is way greener than paper production? lots of rare earth elements been strip mined for your E reader while paper production from renewable sources is greener than you think

I was actually joking, but let's discuss the facts. I read approximately 2-3 books per week my E-book can store around 350 books. Now 2 books a week times 52 is 104 books per year.

Obviously books are produced by machines which use the rare earth metals you mention in your post and other resources. I would say that one ebook which lasts 5 years (and can then be recycled) will be a lot less environmentally damaging than producing and recycling 500 books. I realise that paper is recyclable but it comes with a cost every time, perhaps the trees will be OK but it still harms the environment to produce and recycle books.

lukemk1
17th January 2012, 11:52 AM
i cant change my avatar nor do i have the settings to do that ? nor can i find where to change my password ?

Master-B
17th January 2012, 01:09 PM
i cant change my avatar nor do i have the settings to do that ? nor can i find where to change my password ?

Forum Actions > Edit Profile

Gilles27
17th January 2012, 01:12 PM
I couldn't work out how to do until I saw this from Monkeymax:
Go to the top of this page, "Forum Actions" (Under the "What's new" tab), click "Edit Profile". In the new page look on the left for a box titled "My Settings". WIthin there is the option to "Edit Avatar". You can then upload it and save changes.

lukemk1
17th January 2012, 03:54 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats been doing my head in for months !!

Gilles27
18th January 2012, 09:30 AM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats been doing my head in for months !!
Hi Luke. I think your avatar may be a mirror image. I think the phoenix/eagle/budgie thing should be facing left not right. :)