PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys.

forkmantorch
9th May 2011, 12:25 AM
Just bought this mk1 (http://www.mr2mk1club.com/showthread.php?9230-Blue-tbar-for-sale-G-reg-South-West-London&daysprune=-1 mk1)

Mechanically it seems in fairly good nick the only main issues being:

- after a bit of extended driving the clutch starts slipping a bit.
- there is some brake judder thru the peddle and steering wheel when braking from above 50-60mph.
- and of course the 5th gear issue

In regards to the brake judder is this most likely a problem with brake discs and does anyone know if this would be an MOT fail?

It's oddly ominous of my start with my mk3 supra, first I had to replace the clutch, then refurbish the front brakes, then the HG went and once I had sorted that out I found out how much fun an LSD isn't in our december weather :p

Anyway, just thought I should say hi and that I'm glad to be an MR2 owner.

Did try to become a member but the link wasn't working, is that just me or a problem atm?

kevin..in
9th May 2011, 08:30 AM
welcome to the world of MK1 MR2s, be a bit patient on the joining up link, site has just moved to a new server and its not all de bugged as yet

Kateg28
9th May 2011, 08:33 AM
:wave:

Hello and welcome.

Yes, this new site is very new but it is getting all the bugs fixed so don't worry. It is a great community and very helpful.

bluesunbeam
9th May 2011, 04:18 PM
Hi Forkmantorch ,
Regarding brake judder , it sounds like warped discs . My 1988 car had a similar problem and went through at least 10 MOT's without failing at 3 different MOT stations . I think this is because the test is done at very slow wheel speeds and unless the warping is very severe it does not show up . I did so few miles and at such low speeds in the first 3 years of ownership that i did not notice the problem and it was not given as an advisory on the MOT . As soon as i realised there was a problem i replaced just the front discs and this sorted the judder . I have tried to find the receipt for the discs but cant . I pretty sure they cost about £60 for the pair - they are an easy job to fit them yourself . Other wiser heads will have to advise on your clutch problem . Good luck and enjoy your Mk1 .

bluesunbeam
9th May 2011, 04:34 PM
Hi Forkmantorch ,
Regarding brake judder , it sounds like warped discs . My 1988 car had a similar problem and went through at least 10 MOT's without failing at 3 different MOT stations . I think this is because the test is done at very slow wheel speeds and unless the warping is very severe it does not show up . I did so few miles and at such low speeds in the first 3 years of ownership that i did not notice the problem and it was not given as an advisory on the MOT . As soon as i realised there was a problem i replaced just the front discs and this sorted the judder . I have tried to find the receipt for the discs but cant . I pretty sure they cost about £60 for the pair - they are an easy job to fit them yourself . Other wiser heads will have to advise on your clutch problem . Good luck and enjoy your Mk1 .

forkmantorch
9th May 2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Blue I'll take your advice and give the brake discs a go myself.