PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Great Condition White, Sunroof with 14 Service Stamps

Speedracer_Dev
21st April 2011, 09:25 AM
Recently serviced, so ready to roll for the summer.

More high resolution photos here.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/devanp/sets/72157626111484904/
Click on the slideshow button at the top of the flickr page.

DETAILS

Mileage: 98,052 (at the time of publishing)
Date of Reg.: 1st May 1988 / E reg'
Exterior Colour: White
Interior Colour: Blue
Body: Coupe with sunroof
Road Tax Expires.: 31st May 2010
MOT Expires.: Nov. 27th 2011
Former Keepers: 6

I bought this car back in September 2009, it took me over 3 months to find one in such good condition and with such a comprehensive history. I always aim to own the best example of any car I choose to buy. However, due to a change in work I'm really starting to rack up the miles and spend a small fortune on fuel. So the sensible thing for my wallet and the car is to put it up for sale, to preserve it's condition and value.

HISTORY

There is a massive history file from the previous keepers showing huge sums of money have been spent keeping this car in great condition. It comes with a comprehensive service history (all Toyota main dealer except the last two services) with lots of original invoices and most of the old MOT certificates.

The following service stamps are present

22 25 Apr 1988 - PDI Toyota, Wight Motors
724 25 May 1988 - 1 Month Service Toyota, Reg. Heynes & Sons
6,192 14 Jan 1989 - 'A' Service Toyota, Wight Motors
10,456 21 Jul 1989 - 'B' Service Toyota, Wight Motors
15,042 28 May 1990 - 'B' Service Toyota, Wight Motors
25,108 23 Mar 1991 - 'C' Service Toyota, Wight Motors
29,980 05 Dec 1991 - 'A' Service Toyota, Page Motors
33,229 29 Sep 1992 - 'B' Service Toyota, Page Motors
39,315 23 Jul 1993 - 'C' Service Toyota, Page Motors
44,593 09 Mar 1994 - 'A' Service Toyota, Page Motors
49,807 22 Nov 1995 - 'B' Service Toyota, Balmers Lawn
54,571 18 Jul 1997 - 'A' Service Toyota, Balmers Lawn
58,682 29 Jun 1998 - 'C' Service Toyota, Balmers Lawn
67,798 28 Jun 2000 - 'A' Service Toyota, Balmers Lawn
86,535 10 Jan 2009 - 'B' Service £753 Tech-Once Toyota, cambelt, brake fluid, coolant, gearbox oil, fuel filter.
The previous owners tell me, between 2001 and 2008 the car had very little use and was dry stored for a number of years.

At 90,491 on the 06 Feb 2010 I serviced the vehicle myself using all Toyota Parts, plugs, oil/air filter and oil. It was for peace of mind and to provide a datum for servicing it in the future.

As common with service records/books the odd stamp or invoice may be missing, so you can only assume it has been cared for above and beyond what I have detailed above.

Work I have/had carried out

CAT 2 Immobiliser, with certificate as per insurance requirements.
New rear calliper and rear brake pads fitted with Toyota fitting kit. (handbrake works perfectly and holds the car on a hill with only 2 clicks!) There is approximately 30% pad life reaming on the front and neither front or rear discs are lipped.
Replacement Genuine Toyota alternator fitted, not the usual refurbished rubbish (thanks to Mike from the MR2 Club)
Toyota Wiper Blades
Brand new ashtray (thanks again to Mike from the MR2 Club)
New windscreen fitted with genuine replacement trim and clips, (no rust behind screen) 05 Jan 2011
New radiator Mar 2011.
Serviced using Toyota parts, at 97,500.

ADDITIONAL

Interior is near immaculate, all switch gear works as it should.

The bodywork is free from the usual array of parking dents and has a good glossy shine to it. It has all the original stickers and stripes.

Front and rear crash bars are solid.

No 5th gear issues, there's barely any movement when you back off.

Comes with 2 genuine keys with 2 immobiliser tags.

Also comes with the original Toyota tape player (how 80s), with the original wiring intact and I'll throw in the ISO converter in case you want to upgrade.

All the panels and structural members are solid, as the past two MOTs testify, having passed with no advisories, I regularly clean behind the arches and inaccessible areas.

Toyota owner's wallet with owner's manual, complete toolkit, original jack, full size spare alloy wheel (not pictured but included).

Front Goodyear tyres have 3.5mm tread, still plenty for another 3 to 5,000 miles but worth mentioning, rears have over 5mm and are also Goodyear's.

FLAWS

As with a car of this age, there are the odd things that could do with attention, but now that I'm selling it I'm reluctant to spend the time, which I don't have and the money fixing them.

- There is very slight surface rust developing in just a few places, please see pictures. The bottom of A pillars, floor plan and sills are SOLID. Therer's tiny bit of rust on the lower OS A pillar. It was hardly worth mentioned but it's the first thing anyone looks/asks for when buying one of these. It hasn't got any worse the time I have owned it.
- Slight damage to the paint on the passenger side rear wheel arch after grazing a parking bollard.
- A very minor parking "ding" on the driver side rear wing near the rear light cluster (see pic above).
- Wheels could do with refurbishing if you're fussy. They still come up well with a good scrub.
- Electric aerial needs a new mast (£35 from Toyota)
- There is the occasional knock from the anti roll-bar link(s), I mentioned this at the last MOT and the tester said "nah they're fine".
- Exhaust could do with some tail pipe trims to tidy it up.

I only mention these points so there are no surprises. Every MR2 you view will have it's problems and from my experience the list above is a fraction of what you will find needs attention on other cars. I do not want to waste your time and more importantly mine. I have been in frustrating situations with many a seller who have failed to mentioned problems, even when directly questioned on the phone. So I hope you appreciate the honesty.

This could very easily be a show stand car, this is not the usual, rotten, poorly maintained example. So grab yourself a piece of fun, reliable, 80s history. Good examples are sure to appreciate, especially as 80s culture has made a return.

Please contact me with any questions you may have regarding details I have failed to miss above.

Car location: Wellingborough.
PRICE: £1,495
Best regards,

Devan
07811162792 (9am to 9pm)

High Res Pics.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/devanp/set ... 111484904/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/devanp/sets/72157626111484904/)
Click on the slideshow button at the top of the flickr page.

Speedracer_Dev
3rd May 2011, 04:45 PM
Price reduced to £1495, and has just been serviced too.

Speedracer_Dev
9th May 2011, 11:14 AM
A sad day but my Mister 2 is now sold. Can I just say, thanks to all you folk that have helped me via the forum and big shout out to Mike in Wellingborough for his selfless help and parts! You never know, I might be back a third time.