PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Bath

Gandhi
13th April 2011, 08:29 PM
Evening,

thought it was about time i stopped lurking and started posting! Doubt i'll be able to offer much in the way of help to people, but I will try, promise!

Had my MR2, aka Miami Rice, since August and been getting used to the fun factor. Best car I've had (even better than my E30 325 BMW) White T-bar that doesnt leak, doesn't have any rust issues that I've found yet and seems to be fairly sound despite its slightly leggy 165k miles :)

Car is currently in a state of suspension rebuild, following an MOT fail on ball joints and drop links, hoping to have it back on the road next week :) Better do, as I'm off to Skye in 10 days and I can't face all those twisty roads in the g/f's diseasil Corolla estate :oops:

Looking forward to hopefully getting involved with the community a little bit in the future!

Kateg28
14th April 2011, 09:17 AM
:wave:

We like pictures........

Sounds like you have a good one and glad you enjoy it.

Bath is a lovely part of the coutnry, must be some really good driving around there.

FossMan
14th April 2011, 10:18 AM
Welcome. Give us a bit more info on the car then.

I live in Bristol but my g/f is in Bath so I'm over there a fair amount! See a couple of mk1s when i'm out and about so it would be nice if the owners of them turned up on here.

Chris

sunsetjoe
14th April 2011, 04:39 PM
Just about to set off for week end in Bath, look out for us!

Gandhi
14th April 2011, 09:25 PM
Right then, pictures first, then some history!

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m563/gandhi233/mr2/MR2_10.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m563/gandhi233/mr2/MR2_8.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m563/gandhi233/mr2/MR2_5.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m563/gandhi233/mr2/MR2_4.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m563/gandhi233/mr2/MR2_1.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m563/gandhi233/mr2/MR2.jpg

Gandhi
14th April 2011, 10:02 PM
Sorry about the slightly large images, will try and re-size and repost them tomorrow, bit tricky using photoshop on the lappy with a trackpad!

Bought "Miami Rice" in August last year from a certain well known auction site. Traveled down on the train and was quite pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be as good as it looked in the pictures hahaha. I don't normally buy cars unseen but I was peer-pressured into this one by my idiot colleagues!

First drive back was immense with roof off :)

Reasonable amount of history including pretty much every old MOT and tax disc. Not a lot of stamps in the book but other receipts to back it all up. Would appear to have had a small welding repair on the sill, but all sound now. Most worrying was the fact that it had 2 HG changes in 2 years! I think the first was a genuine fail and the second was a result of the coolant not being burped properly as there are a few bits referring to overheating issues. Heater also wasn't working when I got it, well it was working intermittently, but never that hot. No problems with overheating though, if anything it was running quite cold according to the temp gauge.

Bodywork is sound enough, no major rust anywhere although I have found a small patch today where the underseal has cracked and water has got in, doesn't look too bad, so hopefully a grind back and some POR15 will do the trick.

So....... Decided to leave it be for a while as I had a trip to North Wales for a week coming up. Really, I've never enjoyed a drive as much as hooning up and down the llanberis pass, mostly in second and third gear, listening to the engine and exhaust note reverberate off the walls and getting used to having the weight of the engine in the middle of the car. In fact, the whole trip was pretty outrageous and I feel so sorry for my poor mate who was the passenger :sick: I think it was here when the magic happened and I fell in love (with the car!)

Since then I've flushed out the coolant and changed the thermostat and wondered why my heater still didn't work! until I happened on the valve in the frunk, found it wasn't moving, so had to repair the stupid plastic/metal clip affair on the heater controls, that was fun with a hangover.

Changed the dizzy, rotor and coil lead, air, oil and fuel filters, gear box oil replaced with some better stuff. Not sure this latter has helped, gear changes feel different, not necessarily better! I have a little bit of nod in 5th, but probably only 5mm or less, so I'm not bothered about that, doesn't crunch anymore changing from 1st to 2nd when the revs have been high though, so thats a bonus.

January was MOT time and only 2 advisories for a worn droplink and off side rear ball joint, so thats where I am now. Stripped out the suspension to do the ball joints and ended up refreshing pretty much everything, including polybushing. The only thing I haven't changed is the struts and springs. They will have to wait until later in the year when I have more cash!

You wouldn't believe I'd never picked up a spanner until 2 months ago. Couldn't have done any of it without the wealth of technical knowledge I've gleaned from these pages, so a big heartfelt thank you to you all for that!

The future?

Konis and slightly lower springs, some new wheels (Lenso RS5 I think), learning to weld. Oh, and Ive started the saving account for a 3SGTE :) After 165k miles I'm sure my engine wont last much longer. Then its transplant time!

Sorry about the ramble, but you did ask!

Gandhi
14th April 2011, 10:10 PM

I live in Bristol but my g/f is in Bath so I'm over there a fair amount! See a couple of mk1s when i'm out and about so it would be nice if the owners of them turned up on here.

Chris

Chris, Hello!

I've only ever seen 2 others in Bath. A very ratty one that lives out towards Limpley Stoke and a slightly flat looking red one some mornings on my way to work, tidy, but needs a bloody clean!

I try and avoid driving around Bath if I can, its not car friendly and quicker to walk most places!

FossMan
15th April 2011, 11:22 AM

Chris

Chris, Hello!

I've only ever seen 2 others in Bath. A very ratty one that lives out towards Limpley Stoke and a slightly flat looking red one some mornings on my way to work, tidy, but needs a bloody clean!

I try and avoid driving around Bath if I can, its not car friendly and quicker to walk most places!

I always see 2 red ones in Bath. One with a grey-haired lady in it and a young chap that must work at the Royal Crescent Hotel judging by how often I see it parked there.

Anyway. Yours looks bloody lovely! (Except those door protectors :P) You seem to have a nice garage in which to keep it too, which makes me jealous.

Mine is being resprayed at the moment so its not been out for a couple of months. Hopefully you'll see it before too long.

P.S. Don't apologise for the lengthy into. That's what we like!